3.0 to 3.3 swap

Andrew93

I'm in the middle of doing an engine swap in my 93 WD21 to a 3.3 from a 97 pathfinder. Do I have to swap the transmissions because the CKP is mounted on the bellhousing for the 3.3 vs in the distributor for the 3.0? Has anyone bypassed this issue before? Also does anyone know where I would be able to find an ignition module for the 3.3? 

Thanks from a new member! 

Ok that makes me feel way better since I pulled the 3.3 out and mangled the sensor. Did your xterra not have a CEL? just seems weird to me since I'm normally working on Fords. 

It did, but it does not affect the drivability. When I had the motor replaced the shop repaired the harness and that issue was resolved (I bought it that way). On the Xterra the coil is in the distributor, on the VG30 it is mounted to the intake plenum.

When I did the 3.3 swap on my Pathfinder, I swapped the intake plenum, distributor, exhaust manifold and I think the coolant pipe under the intake manifold from my original 3.0. I did keep the 3.3 injectors, so that involved rebuilding the engine wiring subharness to let it plug into the main harness and have the connectors that fit the newer injectors and older distributor. 

The R50 had different plumbing for the heater and coolant lines and the accessories are located differently.  I simply used the mounting brackets from Frontier/Xterra VG33 engines and a steering pump from a Frontier/Xterra. My Alternator was from a 90's Quest/Villager and mounted up fine. I still don't have AC, after more than 13 years, but a compressor from an Xterra/Frontier should work fine, might have to get some hoses made to adapt. That let me use the flat multi ribbed belts the 33 uses without going through the fun and games of adapting the 3.0 harmonic balancer. 

You can either extend the oil pressure switch wire or you can move the oil pressure switch from the oil filter adapter to the side of the block above the starter where the 3.0 has it, and the plug to the filter adapter. 

Over all, it is a simple swap since the 3.0 and 3.3 have basically the same block and heads. 

• Like 1

Well, it is a dry heat here in the second driest state in the union. Only Nevada gets less water. Here 30% is considered high. I almost died when I spent a couple years in northern Virginia, I decided that 95%+ humidity is hell. That was 30 years ago, before the global warming religion got started. 

Then again, anything over 70°f is hot for me. Just haven't had the money and need for the AC in my truck, though I might this year since it has become my DD again.