Unknown part on OEM muffler of 1998 QX4

Escape19

Just changed my exhaust system on 1998 QX4. Curious what this piece that is welded on the forward portion of the OEM muffler does. My guess it is for sound deadening. I may weld it onto the replacement muffler. There is also a similar square piece mounted under the chassis of the vehicle about 3 feet forward of this part, they don’t seem to be related. Thanks.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/5j1X3D41cy8H1kpE6

Edited by Escape19
To get image to display

That is odd. Yeah, must've been some vibration they were trying to quiet. Unless the new exhaust has a buzz or something, it's probably not necessary, though I would be curious to hear why Nissan bothered with it.

You are probably right. I found a reference to a similar part today on a Toyota forum. That is the conclusion that I came up with after reading that post. The new exhaust does seem to have I slight buzz, so I will weld the old part onto the new muffler. Thanks for your help.

Yep, it is simply a weight that is there to dampen and change the frequency of the vibration for noise control. You find things like that all over the underside of modern autos.