Aftermarket high performance radiator for R50/vq35de

CNAM

Anyone have any experience with an aftermarket high performance radiator? I’m thinking I’d like to upgrade to a Ron Davis radiator. This may require eliminating the overflow tank and making some custom brackets to properly mount it. I found two roughly the same height and with but with much more added thickness and electric cooling fan included. They are NOT inexpensive but if possible might be well worth it. Thoughts, comments, suggestions welcome. Thx guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you having problems with overheating? I monitor my coolant temps via an obd2 Bluetooth app and even when I’m towing a trailer, the coolant temps stay around 185-190 with the stock radiator. I think the stock cooling system works pretty well, so I’m not sure there’s much to gain with an aftermarket radiator is all. 

Are you having problems with overheating? I monitor my coolant temps via an obd2 Bluetooth app and even when I’m towing a trailer, the coolant temps stay around 185-190 with the stock radiator. I think the stock cooling system works pretty well, so I’m not sure there’s much to gain with an aftermarket radiator is all. 

Living is SoCal and running 35”tires could have been part of the problem. I had some overheating problems on the trail, uphill, last summer in the heat plus long slow climbs that lead me to a blown head gasket that was very insignificant at first and slowly got worse. I’m currently rebuilding my motor(230,000mi) and thinking more towards extra protection from similar conditions. I was looking into running a turbo kit for a G35/350Z with the same VQ35de but the kit was very expensive and would require a ton of custom fab and ECU tuning as well. The stock radiator is only 6/8” thick aftermarket is 2” thick and approximately the same height and width plus electric cooling fan. Probably will only require custom brackets and maybe hose modification. The obd2 app sounds interesting though

1 hour ago, CNAM said:

Living is SoCal and running 35”tires could have been part of the problem. I had some overheating problems on the trail, uphill, last summer in the heat plus long slow climbs that lead me to a blown head gasket that was very insignificant at first and slowly got worse. I’m currently rebuilding my motor(230,000mi) and thinking more towards extra protection from similar conditions. I was looking into running a turbo kit for a G35/350Z with the same VQ35de but the kit was very expensive and would require a ton of custom fab and ECU tuning as well. The stock radiator is only 6/8” thick aftermarket is 2” thick and approximately the same height and width plus electric cooling fan. Probably will only require custom brackets and maybe hose modification. The obd2 app sounds interesting though

Yeah I saw after I posted that you had blown a head gasket and we’re doing a rebuild. If you’re already that far deep I agree with going big on the cooking system while you’re already in there. It certainly can’t hurt. I use a Bluetooth obd2 dongle with the obdfusion app on my phone. Along with being a great diagnostic tool, you can also monitor direct info from the ecu instead of relying on the dummy gauges. 

Edited by Bax03SE
  • Like 1

Not a bad idea to upgrade now if you're planning to chase power later. Not sure I could bring myself to drop $750 on a rad, though. :blink:

I remember somebody turbo'd a VQ R50 a while back, and his transmission did not enjoy the results.

My buddy runs one of those with the e fans and I know he's happy with it, I would go for it.

Interesting. I wonder if you could get any specific info. Like dimensions or part number he used and how he went about mounting it and fitment. Close to stock dimensions or oversized? Single fan or dual? Was it actually a Ron Davis radiator? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

10 hours ago, CNAM said:

Interesting. I wonder if you could get any specific info. Like dimensions or part number he used and how he went about mounting it and fitment. Close to stock dimensions or oversized? Single fan or dual? Was it actually a Ron Davis radiator? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

I'm going wheeling with him this weekend so I can find out and get back to you later tomorrow or Sunday probably

• Like 1

I'm going wheeling with him this weekend so I can find out and get back to you later tomorrow or Sunday probably

Awesome! Thanks brother!