Grease Points?

AlabamaDan

I have always assumed that new vehicles had sealed parts and did not require greasing them like my old 1973 Ford did. I just thought I’d double check with those more experienced mechanics. Am I right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some things don’t hurt to pack with new grease after a while. Not sure what year you’ve got, but most are the same in the topic of where can be greased. I like to keep my front driveshaft greased, I pack grease into my hubs whenever I have them open, tie rod ends if they’re not OEM (my MOOG ones have grease fittings), U-Joints don’t hurt either. If you do any mudding or water crossing frequently, keeping your drivetrain packed with hi-temp marine grease is good practice too.

• Like 1

As far as zerk fittings, only thing should be the slip joint on the front driveshaft if I remember correctly.  There may be more depending on what aftermarket replacements it may have (MOOG tend to).  As far as non-zerk items, you could drive yourself nuts finding all the stuff to cram a needle under the boot and grease up.

3 hours ago, AlabamaDan said:

Zerk points. That’s it. There is one somewhere? I’ve never noticed.

Yup, somewhere near the middle of the front shaft.  If you have manual hubs you can just grab the shaft and rotate until you find the zerk.  If my memory is right it's directly behind a small crossmember so it's hard to get at.  I only ever greased it twice so I don't remember exactly.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

The original front end parts on my '93 had little plug bolts that you could remove and replace with a zerk to grease them.

Very interesting.  I'd be interested to know what that looks like so I can keep an eye out for em, Google here I come!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...