Home rear wheel alignment...

TrailChaser

I had a little extra wear on the inside of the back passinger tire when I was running the Timberlines A/Ts... I put a level on the rim with the truck sitting level in the garage and it was off just a little bit in the direction that would cause the inside of the tire to wear faster...

My question is can I adjust it myself to get it level at least till I can find the time and $$$ to get all 4 wheels done right??? Is this possible or just a dumb idea??

Some places do 3 levels of alignment:

1: adjusting fronts only, aligned with respect to chassis

2: adjusting fronts only, but aligned with respect to rear axle

3: adjusting all 4.

And version 2 is commonly called a 4 wheel alignment.

If anything that affects rear axle positioning is bent or moves (frame, suspension arms, shifting bolts, etc). Ever been following a vehicle and notice how some go down the road noticeably crooked? Where the rear wheels seem to be tracking an inch or two (or 5!) offset from the front wheels? The rear wheels are locked parallel to each other, but if the axle is not absolutely perpindicular to the chassis, the rear will track slightly offset.

All vehicles do this to SOME extent due to manufacturing tolerances and hitting stuff. Sometimes noticeable, usually not. Well, I guess it is possible for a vehicle to come off the assembly line where the rear axle comes out absolutely perfectly aligned... but not likely!

So it is worth it to get the fronts aligned to the rears every now and then - especially if you are getting funny tire wear.

also, the front wheels are never "perfectly level". they are always a degree or two off in various directions to compensate for steering/suspension issues (from the manufacturor).

There are a few really old school guys who can get really close with some string and a couple of levels... wouldn't know the first thing about how they do it though.

Ditto to revgolem about the string and level thing... I have actually read "instructions" on how to do this, but didnt have the patience or a good place to play with it. While there are no adjustment features, you could always get a severely misaligned rear closer. It is just basically bolt in there, so things could always be lengthened, shortened, bent, etc as needed. That of course is an over simplification, so as long as it is not visually out of square, it's not worth messing with for most people.

B