R50 Transfer case id

Hi, Can someone help id the parts ive marked in the picture ? im working backwards for a repower

and needed a electric change Transfer case

this one came behind a Auto QD32

A=

B=

C= tube for what ?

D=

E=

F=

G=How is this moved ? Low4WD ?

Bigger picture 9k9wsp.jpg

Edited by Buzzliteyear

That looks like an ATX14A. If you're trying to fit it to a truck that didn't come with it, you may be in for a hell of a fight. I recommend tracking down the service manual for the truck the case came from, both to see what the various things do and to see what you're in for. I had a look at the TF section of the '03 R50 service manual (mine doesn't cover the diesel models, though) and holy crap is that thing complicated! It's designed to offer an automatic mode (clutch AWD, like some Subarus). The front driveshaft gets power through a wet clutch assembly like an auto trans, so it's got a pressurized oil system, complete with an electric backup pump to keep pressure up when you're stopped or going backwards. Much of the section is devoted to troubleshooting the various trouble codes it can throw. Its control module ties into the engine computer, trans computer, and ABS.

If a simple push-and-pray is what you're after, you might have better luck stripping the linkage off a TX10A (manual transfer) and setting it up with some kind of homemade servo system.

• Like 1

Sorry for the rubbish picture seems im limited to 156kb, is there another way to upload better picutres...

Ah Crap......not what i wanted to hear....that model ATX14A is hard to research even....never heard of a "Transfer Control Unit"

https://www.autozone.com/repairguides/Nissan-Pathfinder-1996-05/Transfer-Case-2004/Atx14a/_/P-0996b43f80376c91

....why has such a fully automated T-case have a lever for Hi/Lo ?

or does it get moved by a Actuator ?

Could that motor/ Actuator on the back of this one be used or and early TX10A maybe

cheers for the reply

Brett

The trucks with the ATX14A have a heater knob looking deal on the dash to control the transfer. I assume hi/lo is just a servo controlled by the transfer case computer. The TX10A trucks have the lever through the floor. You'll have to do some bodging on whatever actuator you go with--AFAIK there was never a factory electronically controlled TX10A, so you're looking at some custom work to get something mounted up and then to figure out how to control it so it stops in the right places.

As for the pictures, unfortunately the only way to get bigger pics is to host elsewhere and embed or link them.

20 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

The trucks with the ATX14A have a heater knob looking deal on the dash to control the transfer. I assume hi/lo is just a servo controlled by the transfer case computer. The TX10A trucks have the lever through the floor. You'll have to do some bodging on whatever actuator you go with--AFAIK there was never a factory electronically controlled TX10A, so you're looking at some custom work to get something mounted up and then to figure out how to control it so it stops in the right places.

As for the pictures, unfortunately the only way to get bigger pics is to host elsewhere and embed or link them.

Not quite, the early 4-mode trucks (such as my 1997 JDM G3M-R with the QD32) have the knob/switch/dial to select 2wd/auto/4ed lock, and the lever to select low ratio (which also automatically locks the centre diff if you leave the dial in 2wd). Only the post-facelift R50 from 1999 on had all 4 modes on the dial and no low-range lever.

Thanks KiwiTerrano, that makes sense as the pressure to move the lwo range arm on the T-case is more than id expect a actuator to do,

The 1999 one is what i was after..... if i could run it without the control unit ? and then a Non electric Auto from early model with short removable bell housing

then a series LD engine from my C32......thats the plan......

Kiwi are you on the offroadexpress forum ? my old password wont work and no reply from admin

Edited by Buzzliteyear

3 minutes ago, Buzzliteyear said:

Thanks KiwiTerrano, that makes sense as the pressure to move the lwo range arm on the T-case is more than id expect a actuator to do,

The 1999 one is what i was after..... if i could run it without the control unit ? and then a Non electric Auto from early model with short removable bell housing

then a series LD engine from my C32......thats the plan......

Kiwi are you on the offroadexpress forum ? my old password wont work and no reply from admin

yeah I am on that forum too, different username though

10 hours ago, KiwiTerrano said:

Not quite, the early 4-mode trucks (such as my 1997 JDM G3M-R with the QD32) have the knob/switch/dial to select 2wd/auto/4ed lock, and the lever to select low ratio (which also automatically locks the centre diff if you leave the dial in 2wd). Only the post-facelift R50 from 1999 on had all 4 modes on the dial and no low-range lever.

That explains the oddball I saw on the FB page a while back! Thanks for clearing that up.