Reverse wont work?

Guest mghype

Guest mghype

Well for some reason out of the blue my car wont go into reverse. it seems like it just wont catch the gear. I checked the transmission fluid and its fine. What else could it be? it

If it's an auto, that's basically the first sign that the tranny is about to go out on you. Before it gets worse, change the fluid and add a tranny no-slip additive at the same time. Then bypass your stock tranny cooler. Replace the cooler with an aftermarket external cooler. See what happens after that.

if it's an auto, good fluid level and won't go in reverse... it's probably too late. Chances are your tranny is already shot. Could be your oil pump going bad (low pressure), could be your reverse clutch, high clutch, reverse brake assembly, etc. Have you run the self-diagnostic procedure to check your sensors etc? A line pressure test can also help isolate the problem and is fairly straingtforward to do. If your line pressure is low, reverse is first to go.

the first time it doesn't go into reverse.. it's too late, same thign happend to me.. here in ontario, it's 4000$ to get it rebuild, my uncle mechanic checked it and said that every other gear will be fine.. it has been like this for 2 months now, i've been runnin it without reverse, works perfec, i have to find a used tranny somwhere..

Try replacing the fluids. If you didn't hear any noises as anything breaking and it happened out of the blue without warning, it could be a clogged filter. The filter does not have to be clogged much, just enough to reduce the fluid pressure.

The mechanic that got mine going again told me these trannies are touchy when it comes to oil pressure. It seems there's a sharp breakoff from when enough pressure becomes not enough and besides, what can it cost? A filter and fluids. The filter/gasket set is $75 and 5 liters of tranny oil. Better than jumping out and paying 2Gs for a rebuit tranny.

Denis

Transmisson repairs scare many people so the price is high for someone to fix it. The reverse problem on the pathy tranny is only a couple of things. The easiest is the solenoid that engages the fluid flow control. If this goes bad you get nothing. A quick check of this is do you get a bump when you put it into reverse. If no then it is the solenoid. Cheap part and easy fix.

If you get a bump then it just doesn't move, the most likely issue is the pump. This costs abit more but still is an easy fix.

Usually when you have a transmission shop work on the tranny they want to rebiuld and replace all of the soft parts and sometimes the hard parts. Even in CDN $4000 is replacement of all the parts, hard and soft. Parts cost for a rebuild is about $500. I'll post a web site for them sometime. The biggest expense on a tranny fix on a pathy is getting the tranny out and in again.

On this forum is a complete check out list for a tranny. I would advise that both of you follow it and narrow down the problem.

I have used a tranny at my place in Cleveland. It has a broken input shaft but reverse works.