Steering on a budget?

mtnnate

What would be the best (and cheapest) way to upgrade and replace my crap stock steering setup?

I'm thinkin' L&P Center link + Idler Arm brace.

I probably need a new idler arm...

Tie rods... MOOG??

Or, should I just suck it up and go with Calmini?

I know L&P have had their problems but its almost worth the risk for the price.

I only want the advice of people who actually have some SERIOUS steering upgrades to thier rigs.

post-1-1112662752.jpg

Check 88's thread about his recently installed L&P steering stuff. The Calmini stuff is nice... also heard stuff about people having Moog tierods.

Sorry I don't have SERIOUS steering upgrades but maybe my advice is acceptable anyway. :D

Ok, enough of the diss-on-whoever-doesn't-agree-with-you talk. Back on topic, please.

I highly reccommend the L&P steering, it works very well and is very well built. They've all but fixed the past problems, and people that order parts from them are getting them in a timely fashion now. The L&P steering also costs a lot less than the Calmini setup...but the Calmini setup is a complete system that replaces everything but the steering box. You get to decide what you want (and can afford) on that topic.

On the tie rods, MOOG makes decent parts, but regular no-name brands are also acceptable, from what I've been through and seen.

An idler arm brace would be a good idea. You don't need to replace yours unless the pin is bent or the arm is twisted. You can buy replacement bushings for it from a Nissan dealership for like $7.50 a pair if those are worn out.

Oh, and the MOOG idler arm is a different design than a stock one, so you can't use an idler arm brace if you buy a MOOG idler arm. They're not any stronger, anyway.