help with rust under rear seats

Guest zarek66

Guest zarek66

I'm a newbie Pathfinder owner. I got an awesome deal on my truck but there's only one thing that bugs me. It's the infamous rust under the rear seat. Mine has a hole through the bottom now. I was wondering if you know of a diy fix for this. Mine is bad so that the spray on fix won't cut it. I was thinking of bolting new piece of metal undernealtht he truck over the rusted part and silicone the surrounding of it. What do you think or is there an easier fix to this problem. Please post a write up if you have any ideas. thanks in advance

For under th rear seat I would remove any and all signs of rust. Then if it's a large hole cover it with steel either rivited, screwed on with sheet metal screws or best option welded. If they are smaller holes just use some fiberglass to repair it. I wouldn't bother with a silicone sealer, I would use something more like a roof sealer on the underside at the edges if anything.

I agree with the advise from Grimgreg. One thing you did not say the year of the Pathy. If it is a 94 or 95 then before you drive it next check the frame from the rear axle back. Make sure that the frame is not rusted through. If the truck is a 90,91, or 92 then check the radiator support under the battery. They rot away. That is an easy fix. If the truck is a 93 then check everything esspecially the floor under the driver.

Let us know what you find WAVEY

I was thinking of bolting new piece of metal undernealtht he truck over the rusted part and silicone the surrounding of it.

That's exactly what I did with an aluminum sheet (easier to cut and mold). I have access to a welder now and I really should weld sheet metal in. That will be #762 on the "To Do" list.

Por 15 work pretty good? I've heard it is. I was thinking about using that on the frame when I get ready for the body lift. Grind and clean everything, patch up soem frame holes that are bad and go at it.

Guest zarek66

Thanks for the reply guys. Isn't the por 15 a rust dissolver? The way you describe it it sounds like it's suppose to fill in the hole. correct me if i'm wrong.