Bias vs. Radial

Mr. Pickles

From what I've heard (being too young to know :P ) I hear radial is the way to go on the road vs. bias ply. I'm bet they're probably not what I'm after, but for the price I have to ask if anybody has experience owning the Swamper LTB's (which I think are bias, they don't seem to confirm online). I'm interested in them if only because they are agressive and come in the size I'm thinking about, 31x11.5. I know people will slay me for not stepping up in height, but with gas prices going up like they are again, I really don't want to sacrifice the mileage on my daily driver for an occassional trip to the trail. As it is, I'm still pretty far off. Over the last year, I've only averaged about 7K miles since I work 3 miles away, so I think the BFG's should finally be done by the end of the summer/fall or beyond. Thankfully, the Acura we bought last summer gets over 30 mpg and gets us where we're going fast! :) Anyways, any comments? I'll probably end up with the Kumho's anyways, but had to ask.

bias plys dont last as long, and heat up more than radials, this is caused by the threads rubbing against each other as the tire flexes. as a result they are more prone to overheating failure from improper inflation at high speeds. radials are stiffer, and give a better ride like 88 said.

I looked at those LTBs they are super aggressive, and they are bias ply.

SS LTB

from the super swamper website

I have some regular TSL bias plys...they vibrate like a mofo until they warm up while driving. That and they're harder to keep in balance, but otherwise they're fine.

I've heard about the vibration issue, that they settle overnight and when cold, then are rough up to running speed. Between that and issues of overheating, I guess I'll stick with radials. The Pathy pulls multi duty as daily driver, driving hundreds of highway miles on long camping trips, as well as dirt duty. Those tires are probably better suited for a dedicated trail rig. Thanks guys.

I have some regular TSL bias plys...they vibrate like a mofo until they warm up while driving. That and they're harder to keep in balance, but otherwise they're fine.

I've heard about the vibration issue, that they settle overnight and when cold, then are rough up to running speed. Between that and issues of overheating, I guess I'll stick with radials. The Pathy pulls multi duty as daily driver, driving hundreds of highway miles on long camping trips, as well as dirt duty. Those tires are probably better suited for a dedicated trail rig. Thanks guys.

well dont let me talk you out of it. its amazing how much difference changing from an AT tire to an MT, or an MT to an extreme traction time like the swampers. you'll go places with the aggressive tires you could never go with ATs.

if you can swing it, use 2 sets ATs for everyday stuff, and something a bit gnarlyier for when you go on the trail. in the long run its actually cheaper, cause you'll get better life out of the ATs and better gas milage too!

hey mr pickles i have some wild country TXR 31x10.50 im lookin to get off my hands cheap they have like 75-80% tread left. or 30x9.50 pro comp ATs with less that 5k miles on them. im locatated in everett WA if your interested. PM me with questions or comments

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think I'll still end up with the Kumho's for bang for the buck factor. Unfortunately, I can't swing 2 sets as we're saving to sell our home and buy a bigger one, and to get married (shhhh! its a suprise!). Plus I've got other projects going on the Pathy. So I'm left with looking for the cheapest, most economical, and at the same time most agressive toys I can find.