Clutch Release Bearing

Guest Larimer

Guest Larimer

Have any of you guys had to do the release bearing on your Tranny. I did mine the first time at 130000K. The symptom was that when the clutch pedal was depressed there would be a "howling" - kinda like the sound you get when you drag a barstool across a hardwood floor at your favorite establishment B) . Anyway 15000K after I got it done it started up again - of course just beyond the work warranty. That was more than 100000k ago. It still does it, but I ignore it, just because I am irritated with it.

Has this happened to any other M/T owners? Should I just run it till it dies - after all I got a 100000K out of it so far?

The DIY seems a little beyond my capabilities...

It's your throwout bearing. Maybe you got a bad one, maybe they didn't replace it the first time. Either way, I've had mine like that for 60000Kms. It "barks" every now and then, but I'm just going to wait until the clutch starts slipping a little, and replace the whole works.

I don't know if I could be causing any more damage or not by doing this, but it seems to me that it shifts just fine, and has since the bark started. :shrug:

Some guys have had theirs making noise for years, others (like me) have had

it "bark" for a few weeks, then all of a sudden the bearing freezes and the clutch

won't release in the middle of an intersection...

I just had mine replaced (actually a whole new clutch kit) for around $300. I got

the clutch kit from clutchcity.com for $165 and the local mech installed it for me.

I'd recommend fixing it again - mine could have been worse, it was really bad

the day before it froze, when I was flying down I-80 in a snowstorm, which would

have been the WORST place for it to go...

It sounds like a serious PITA to DIY tho. I never even considered it.

hey "DK" how much did it cost to get it installed since you had your own? i need a new one mines been slipping. the dealership tellin me 1200 for everything

Edited by nick1716

For the total clutch kit installment, the bill was around $500.

However, this bill also included two tows ($45 each), and replacement

of a slave cylinder and hydraulic line, which was probably no more

than $100. Add $165 for the cost of the clutch kit, and $35 shipping.

That's alot less than $1200!!

Got mine done last year for about 670, including two tows and some other assorted charges... Mine went out while driving home for the weekend from school. Didn't really have the ability to shop around for a shop seeing as how I was in middle of nowhere west virginia... But yea, dealership, stay away from that eternal money pit