Oil leak from rear crankshaft seal

chapter

I have an oil leak and it look's it come from the rear crankshaft seal. Is anybody here had expericenced this problem??? Because I'm not sure the oil is coming from this seal. There is oil under the cross member and on the exaust pipe under the transmission. It's not coming from the oil filter or pressure switch. It's not coming too from the 2 valve cover. It leak only when I drive. When the truck is parked there is no leak. So I want your feedback to have a good idea of the problem.

Thanks guys!

Ok, not an expert, but it sounds like you did your oil tracing homework... Do you have auto or MT ? My MT has a little drain hole where the tranny contacts the motor, this is hopefully for water, but can be for oil in this case.. If you have MT, your clutch may foul from this leak, can you feel it ? Look at the motor/tranny join for fresh oil, if it is vague, clean it up and look next time you drive... Unfortunately, it sounds like the rear main seal. The good news is that I have read that it is not that hard or expensive to change. The bad news is that it is after you pull the tranny which is a PITA. Narrow it down, and if that is the case, park the truck, jack it up and rent a tranny jack... GL Bud !!

Bernard

For sure, i won't do that myself!!! So it will be a 1000 box repair because the bearing in the tansimission ara also very noisy since a while...Yes it's a manual transmission. The worst thing in that is they change the bearing 3 years ago, so it will be the second time. The first time, they change also the clutch. I don't like these kind of problem because I can't fix that myself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been having the same problem since I purchased the Pathy. Mine doesn't leak that bad, but enough to annoy me. I was afraid of having to drop the tranny. The guy I purchased it from mentioned that he replaced the rear seal, but wasn't too sure if he got everything sealed tight enough. He mentioned that if that is the problem, it was going to be a pain. Mentioned something about having to remove the crossmember and things? How difficult is this going to be? pssd

Yes, you have to pull 2 crossmembers, the T-bars, the crossover exhaust pipe, both driveshafts, both shifters, and various little things like electrical connectors. It really isn't that hard, just time consuming. Biggest problem would be frozen bolts, but if it was out 3 years ago, they shouldn't be too bad. A garage, jack/tranny jack, manual, and decent set of tools are what you need. Theres no real magic, just common sense, good work habits, a manual and some time will see you through. I figured $800 labor charge was worth wrenching for a few days (I took my time) and besides, I took care of some other things, checked the truck out well, and know it was done right...

Bernard

LOL, Ok, you do not HAVE TO take the T-bars out... I bungie corded them up and to the side, but after wacking my head on them a few times, I just pulled them all the way out for convenience. Not like it is hard since you have the cross member out already.

B

Guest HayZeus

I'm a new Pathfinder owner and a bit of a tyro when it comes to auto repair so take the following FWIW but I bought my Pathy with the knowledge that the crankshaft seal may have a problem. The guy I bought it from uses the same mechanic I do and he recommended that some type of oil additive be used to try and treat the problem first. He (the guy I bought it from) did and so far (knock on wood) the oil level has been okay. :unsure:

I lucked out when I did mine last month... I had the motor out already... it was so much easier, adn I did all the other stuff while I was there.

Good luck! -bounce-

:oops:

It's making me sick just thinking about tearing all that crud out just for a darn rear seal. :furious:

So Precise, when did you say you were coming to Iowa to help? :D

I'll have to look up one of my buddies to see if he'll lend a hand. The more the faster it will get done. This really sucks having this be my means of transportation.

Hey 94 Pathy, I'll be out there as soon as it warms up and you send me a plane ticket... :P Really, unlesss everything is rusted together, it wont be that hard, just takes some time. Definitely have a friend help, it'll go faster and easier. GL !!

lgranch, I guess I could see how that might work, but seems kinda tight... I just followed the manuals directions and since I was indexing the T-bars anyway, it made no difference. With a little luck, I won't have to try it again for another 100k !

B

• 1 year later...

Hi. I´m a new pathy owner. I read this post but for me doesn´t clear what I have to do. Two weeks ago I´ve been having the same problem (an oil leak and it look's it come from the rear crankshaft seal). How I can be sure if it is the rear crankshaft seal? When the truck is parked there is no leak. Is recommended to prove some type of oil additive before a mechanic work?. My pathy is 93´ 4WD Automatic Trasmission, 99700 mil. Where I live temperature is 38ºC (100 ºF) all time.

check the back of your valve covers first. they always give the appearance of a RMS leak. wipe all the oil from the affected areas, then run yer pathy and wait...... then check to see where it's rally coming from. ;)

doing the RMS with the motor in is a PITA... i've always done it with the motor out.. but then again i've always had the motor out for other reasons already...... :hide: