Wondering if I did something

tthomasd614

Hey All! Finally got my Pathy going and runs great but it seems that it has lost some power. I did the timing belt change recently and made sure that the timing is right but it takes a bit to get to 80mph on the freeway. Also, when I am in each gear once until I get to 5th gear, it seems to have power until it gets to about 3000 rpms then I kinda cute out. Any suggestions or is this hi this engine is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the timing is correct, then you may have another issue. Any codes? If the timing is too far off it usually will have no low end.

He a mechanic check the timing and he said it was a little fast at startup but after warned up it was fine. I do have a knock sensor code.

If the computer thinks there's something wrong, it can limit RPM to 3k (or it can on the WD21s, I assume R50s are similar). If the timing is correct, my guess is that the knock sensor's seeing preignition caused by a lean mixture. Pull a plug, see if it's white on the end, and check your vacuum hoses and rubber intake pipe for cracks and dry rot.

• Like 1

If the computer thinks there's something wrong, it can limit RPM to 3k (or it can on the WD21s, I assume R50s are similar). If the timing is correct, my guess is that the knock sensor's seeing preignition caused by a lean mixture. Pull a plug, see if it's white on the end, and check your vacuum hoses and rubber intake pipe for cracks and dry rot.[/

I know that my air intake hose, the rubber elbow is completely cracked and not even sitting on the engine right. Could that cause a problem like this? I haven’t had a chance to replace it yet.

In the service manual it states you need to check the timing when it is fully warmed up, so it would make sense that it reads too advanced when cold cause it is idling higher.

Thanks, I’ll see what happens after it’s been warm.

I know that my air intake hose, the rubber elbow is completely cracked and not even sitting on the engine right.

Sounds like that's your problem right there. The computer decides how much fuel to spray depending on how much air it thinks the engine's pulling in. Any air leak downstream of the mass air flow sensor (on the air filter box) is letting in air that the computer doesn't know about and leaning out your mixture. Fix that busted elbow and the truck should be a whole lot happier.

And yeah, you have to let it warm up before setting timing.

Sounds like that's your problem right there. The computer decides how much fuel to spray depending on how much air it thinks the engine's pulling in. Any air leak downstream of the mass air flow sensor (on the air filter box) is letting in air that the computer doesn't know about and leaning out your mixture. Fix that busted elbow and the truck should be a whole lot happier.

And yeah, you have to let it warm up before setting timing.

Awesome. Thank you!