Clunking after shocks and strut install

k9sar

Paid for a shop to install new shocks and struts back in March because it was too damned cold for me to work on it outside and I knew there would be issues with the install and it would not be a simple bolt-in replacement (I was right. rusty bolts and upper end replacement needed). Since then I've had clunking when going over bumps. Didn't think much of it since the truck is relatively new to me and maybe it was always clunky and I just didn't hear it over the radio. Anyway, now I'm wondering if they were ever seated properly or if something was left loose. Any suggestions as to where I should start looking (after I fix my riding mower and finish my paver steps and landing)?

• 5 weeks later...

Usually these struts require the full weight of the rig on the ground to properly tighten the strut rod nut in the engine bay.

Open the hood, push up and down on the front of the truck. look for any movement at the top of the strut tower. Do the same while looking under the front end. Probably best to have someone helping.

Edited by TowndawgR50