How to fix the AC compressor Stator?

iguardflorida

Hello all, I recently bought an R50 and the AC compressor seized up. The previous owner attempted to remove the front clutch and pulley while it was still in the vehicle and failed miserably while bending the clutch and dinging the rim of the pully.

Now that I have the compressor on the work bench, it appears that a wire from the coil came loose and got caught in the pulley. I'll post a picture when I am able to, but suffice to say right now I was expecting the stator and bearing to look different. In fact, it looks like it's going to be a complete PITA to get back together.

Has anyone done a walkthrough on this? I'm having issues with the search function not returning any results. Thank you, and please ask for any more details I can provide that can assist in clarifying my dilemma.

Remove the 10mm bolt in the middle and gently remove the clutch face, then remove the snap ring that holds the pulley bearing in place, then there's 3 machine screws that hold the electro-magnet to the compressor body.

Once you remove the clutch face it's pretty self explanatory.

****Be careful of the shim that goes on the compressor shaft under the clutch face and make sure it's back on there BEFORE you install the clutch face and bolt.***

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Edited by RCWD21
  • Like 2

Yikes. I'd be looking for a new stator coil for that. Even if you uncoiled the damaged wire and straightened it, the damage to the insulation is already done. I'd also be suspicious of what caused it get caught up like that. Did something get in between? Or is the bearing so bad that the outer part wandered in and grabbed it? The damage looks like more than I'd expect from the end just coming loose.

Magnet wire is a PITA to work with at the best of times. Unwinding that whole spool, straightening it, recoating it, and re-coiling it sounds like way more trouble than it's worth, unless the part is unavailable or you're desperate for a challenge and untangling Slinkys just doesn't do it for you anymore.

You're best bet is to replace the coil along with that pulley and probably the clutch face too. From the looks of all the rust and that bearing that should have been repaired a long time ago.

Rewinding that coil will be fruitless mainly because once the coil is powered it needs to have a certain amount of "pull" to it to be able to properly engage the AC clutch.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

hey gentlemen; ordered a new compressor from a u pull it. I'll slap the thing in this week, but the fact remains that the compressor will have been off for close to two weeks. I taped the high and low lines shut, but what else should I do to protect the system before I start using it? Do i need a new drier?

Yes you should always replace the drier with a new compressor. Also use a vacuum pump to evacuate the system. Oh and don't forget the oil in the lines. Happy cooling!