Drivers side wheel well liner

I'm getting ready to do some work on my truck this weekend. I'm going to install electric trailer brakes.

For the wiring, I decided to drill through the firewall near where the hood release cable goes, which is right behind the drivers wheel well liner.

Has anyone removed this before? It seems to be in there more tightly than just being held by the plastic rivets inside the wheel well, and I think a screw or two in the wheel flare. But is that all it takes and the liner will pop right out?

Thanks

Sent from my FRD-L04 using Tapatalk

If you have an automatic transmission, you don't need to drill any holes through the firewall. You can remove the diamond-shaped plate that covers the place where the clutch pedal would mount on a manual transmission. Inside the cabin, the AT computer is bolted to a bracket at this location. I used a dremel tool to notch out an opening on the diamond plate to route all of my wires from the engine bay to the cabin. It's much easier than what you've proposed. On the other hand, if you have a manual transmission, your strategy is probably just as good. The fender liner attaches to the inner fender using plastic clips and is screwed to the mudflap and outer fender in various places. It should be pretty straightforward to see where it's attached as you remove the various fasteners. There is also a vertically oriented screw or clip beneath the mudflap that is accessible from the bottom of the vehicle (after the mudflap is removed).

Usually, for the small amount of wires needed for trailer brakes, you can shove them through one of the grommets that other wires go through.

I have a manual. On my trailer brake, I think there is 4 wires, 3 of which are fairly large gauge.

I considered routing through the hood release cable, but it is really small and has a molded grommet that I didn't want to tear up, and then have chafing concerns.

The only other visible option I remember is around the clutch cable or brake rod bushings. Also didn't want to make a mess of that.

Other cable entrances and exits I haven't been able to see from behind the dash. If there is a particularly good one I should search for again, happy to try.

Thanks

Sent from my FRD-L04 using Tapatalk

Fords had a large grommet that the wires for the ECM came through on certain models. Does Nissan use that setup, or do they have a bulkhead connection at the firewall?