Spring is in the air...

DarekG

Hello R50 owners!

Now that the weather is getting bearable finally. (At least here in Canada, BC!) what have you done with your Pathfinder or gear to get ready for adventure this year? I'm getting excited for the season.

Yesterday I started cleaning up old crap that had accumulated from a year of 4x4ing and exploring, dead batteries, half used rolls of TP and duct tape, etc.

I measured the back storage area of my R50 and bought good fitting tough containers and organized them into two boxes, one to always have with general stuff like oil, socket kit, shop towels, first aid, and another "adventure pack" and take in and out containing 4x4 specific stuff like my chainsaw and an axe. Not really a mod but I'm proud of how it worked out and how well everything was organized for $30 of Rubbermaid containers.

Today I plan on taking it to a car wash (a bit early I know) and giving it a good all around wash, especially the wheel fenders and underneath. I noticed my crappy plastic fender flares are bringing in rust like a mofo! Not sure what to do about this crisis. My R50 is essentially mint condition except for the rust forming on both rear quarters.

After the wash I'm going to clean up the engine bay and waterproof what I can with some brake clean, electric contact cleaner, and electrical tape.

Then the usual oil change, but I might finally do a complete fluid change, transmission, diff, transfer case, etc.

But the best is yet to come, I've made Fleurys a wealthy man and over the last year I've accumulated a 2 inch spacer lift, skid plates, and a re-enforced cross-link bar from him that will be going on as soon as I receive the skid plates!

After that, the final step will be new meats. I'm thinking either BFG AT KO2's or Duratrac Wranglers. I'm undecided at this point.

Always good to have a go bag...er, your case, Bin! Body: P/W it good, dry the areas of rust and try RustMort, available at Lordco. It reacts w/rust & seals up the metal to stop it from spreading. Then hit w/black(er whatever) rust paint.

Stop gap measure for sure but

The ONLY cure for cancer is removal and replacement of sheet metal. And that will cost you $$$ trust me on this

I'm in the Okanagan, generally found on any of its FSRs! :happy:

As for the rust, I think I'm going to cut it and fiberglass it. For the cost it will probably last as long as the vehicle will.

I just hate doing body work, I'm not the artistic type and prefer nuts and bolts.

Just went in to my local mechanic for the yearly checkup - had to replace the ball joints they were cracked - 5 years and 30K on FSR's will do that to them.

Need to move the cargo rack forward it is a little too far back, find a better place to store the 12 gauge & bear spray on the long trips.

And plan a test run :lmao: make sure these old bones are still holding up.

Finally plan this years 4 - 5 day off-road trip

Mission here.

find a better place to store the 12 gauge & bear spray on the long trips.

I've been exploring options with this as well, basically it's just been the back seat for me but that doesn't always work because if I'm going camping I have a ton of gear back there.

Let me know if you figure out a better solution.

I've been exploring options with this as well, basically it's just been the back seat for me but that doesn't always work because if I'm going camping I have a ton of gear back there.

Let me know if you figure out a better solution.

Maybe mount it on the hood? :laugh:

NuttyPeople.jpg

• Like 2

I was thinking attached to the head rest rails and dropped right behind the front seats. I have scabbard for the shot gun and molle pouch for the bug spray & ammo. As I mostly run solo that may work, will post up images if I find a good spot.