rear vibration

Guest Freaknasty

Guest Freaknasty

from a stop ..accelerating to 5-10 mph the rear end has a strong vibration then it smooths out and no other problems. I did just install 3 inch coils in the back. I don't think i forgot anything especially since i recently changed shocks and was familiar with the parts to be removed. Actually ont thing i remember is that when i drove it around the block i forgot to put the rear diff breather tube back on. there was no problem till today though...

Thanks for any help

Guest Freaknasty

everything looks fine...it has been suggested that the u joints may have gone been due to sudden angle increase...that sound accurate??

Actually, yes. That sounds like what happens when you have a bad u-joint. Thing is, the u-joints on our Pathys rarely go out, and when they do, usually you have to replace the whole driveshaft ceuase the joints aren't removeable. I could be wrong, it's a topic I've never had to deal with.

sounds like a u joint, similar thing happened in a ford I owned, although since it happens only at hard acceleration when the suspension is under load, I might wonder about slip yoke damage, causethe u joint to bind because the appearent lenght of the D shaft cant change. 88 any idea about that??

lastly a friend poked a hole is his telescoping d shaft in a ford bronco II, it dried out and siezed, so when he accelkerated and the rear squatted, it couldn't shorten up, and caused the u joint to bind, and finally fail at highway speed resulting in the scariest experience of my life. but i suspect that that was because his truck had the d shaft hoop removed, allowing the front of it to fall down on to the ground.

the hoop is put there to prevent yout pathy from polevaulting if the front u joint broke and got caught in a pot hole. (yes I saw that episode of myth busters)

88 what do you mean the u joints arent removable???? i bought a set of u joints from AC for my 90, you telling me they sold me a part i cant use?

On my RX7 (no probs on my Pathy) I was told my several "in the know" people at Mazda, etc., that I'd have to replace the whole driveshaft when the rear one took a dump on me. "Nonreplaceable" parts seem to be a mainstay sometimes when it comes to dealers. A competent driveshaft shop replaced them both no problemo. I'd check with a shop, first... :aok:

I didn't see MB on that, but that does happen from time to time. Friend of mine in high school lost his front u-joint on his '64 Falcon while cruising town one night. Lifted the backend about a foot off of the ground. Polevaulting ~ no, but dang scary none the less... :o