Long Trip Ahead on Sunday

Well tomorrow I will be taking my R50 on a pretty long trip. Will be driving from FAR north California (almost on Oregon) back to Dallas. A trip of about 2100 miles.

I've only had the truck for about 3 weeks and have done a lot of maintenance to it in preparation for the trip.

So far I have done:

- Replaced Alternator

- Replaced most antifreeze when changing alternator

- The power valve locktite maint.

- changed oil and filter. Also put in some Marvel Mystery Oil during the change.

- Changed transfer case fluid (it came out black)

- Changed Trans fluid and filter (the magnet inside was pretty full)

- Changed fuel filter (the fuel was dark brown from the old one)

- Removed, cleaned and lubed the drivers side VVT solenoid. I still get the code occasionally but not as much as before.

Only thing I still have left to do is the front and rear differential fluids.

I am hoping the Marvel Mystery Oil will help to clean the VVT's more and prevent sticking / codes.

Anything else I'm missing?

Want to make sure I have a trouble free trip.

Dam the fuel prices here in Cali are high. Local prices are hovering around 3.08 a gallon. Unfortunately almost half my trip will be in california. Once I get out of Cali the fuel prices drop considerably.

How are your belt and brakes looking? When was the last time your wheel bearings were packed?

Edited by Citron

I'm assuming you already checked your cv boots and steering boots, other than that I just bring a bunch of tools with me all the time

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

+1 on belts and pulleys. I got Acdelco pulleys off Amazon for a lot cheaper than your local auto parts store and Gatorback belts for $20 for both off eBay. The bearings in my pulleys were completely shot at 150k.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

+1 on belts and pulleys. I got Acdelco pulleys off Amazon for a lot cheaper than your local auto parts store and Gatorback belts for $20 for both off eBay. The bearings in my pulleys were completely shot at 150k.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

The belts look almost new and the idler pullies seemed ok when I changed the alternator. I spun them by hand and they didn't make noise or feel rough. I am assuming the 1st owner changed them at some point.

I'm assuming you already checked your cv boots and steering boots, other than that I just bring a bunch of tools with me all the time

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

CV's will need replacing at some point as the boots are starting to fail but they seem to be working fine right now. I will see about replacing them when I make it back to texas as I have limited funds to work with right now.

How are your belt and brakes looking? When was the last time your wheel bearings were packed?

I checked the front brakes by looking through the wheels and behind and they seem to have a good amount of material left. There was a little shudder in the front brakes when I first picked it up but that has since gone away. I believe the truck had sat for a short time as the 1st owner didn't want to replace the alternator. Probably developed some rust on the rotors which has since been cleared up. The E-Brake is good and strong, holds the vehicle in place well when I apply it. Brake pedal is firm and it stops straight at highway speeds.

Wheel bearings seemed ok when I spun the tires by hand, no roughness or loose movements.

I have limited funds until I get back to Texas. I will really check and replace a lot once I get back there.

I appreciate all the suggestions of the stuff I forgot.

• Like 1

You moving to Dallas? That's a hell of a long trip to make too many times!

I'm in Wichita Falls.

I'm originally from the Dallas area. I came out here to northern Cali about 7 months ago to help a friend move and setup in an RV on some land. Got tired of the 20+ inches of rain each month and decided it was time to go back to Texas where the weather made some sense.

Most likely will not be driving out this way again (at least not in a car). I drive 18-wheelers for a living so long drives are nothing new for me....

On a trip that long you'll save a lot of money on gas if you get a set of manual locking hubs from Warn or Mike Marker. This will also make the condition of the CVs a non-issue.

I gave that some thought a few weeks back and decided to do the math. Most people get an extra 3mpg with manual hubs.

Without locking hubs:

Averaging 17mpg @ 2100 miles = 123.5 gal

123.5 gal x $3.00 per gal (average) = $370.50

With locking hubs:

Averaging 20mpg @ 2100 miles = 105 gal

105 gal x $3.00 per gal (average) = $315.00

The $3.00 per gal average is about the prices in most of California. About half the trip will be in Cali so that's what I based it off of. I know once I get out of Cali the prices drop precipitously...

By the time I get to Flagstaff the prices will be closer to $2.00 per gal...

Hubs cost about $170... The fuel savings would only be about $55.00 ...

If the fuel savings was more I would certainly do it... If the CV's become an issue I have enough tools and jacks to remove them and continue my trip & repair them when I get to Dallas.

Once I get back to Dallas and get settled I will certainly be putting manual hubs on. Over the long run the fuel savings will be huge not to mention the savings on wear and tear of the CV's...

I gave that some thought a few weeks back and decided to do the math. Most people get an extra 3mpg with manual hubs.

Without locking hubs:

Averaging 17mpg @ 2100 miles = 123.5 gal

123.5 gal x $3.00 per gal (average) = $370.50

With locking hubs:

Averaging 20mpg @ 2100 miles = 105 gal

105 gal x $3.00 per gal (average) = $315.00

The $3.00 per gal average is about the prices in most of California. About half the trip will be in Cali so that's what I based it off of. I know once I get out of Cali the prices drop precipitously...

By the time I get to Flagstaff the prices will be closer to $2.00 per gal...

Hubs cost about $170... The fuel savings would only be about $55.00 ...

If the fuel savings was more I would certainly do it... If the CV's become an issue I have enough tools and jacks to remove them and continue my trip & repair them when I get to Dallas.

Once I get back to Dallas and get settled I will certainly be putting manual hubs on. Over the long run the fuel savings will be huge not to mention the savings on wear and tear of the CV's...

Mile Marker hubs are a lot less.

http://www.autozone.com/drivetrain/locking-hub-4-wheel-drive/mile-marker-locking-hub-4-wheel-drive-/140057_5532_1374/

A lot of guys on here run them, even with big tires, so they're definitely good quality. That would make fuel savings closer to $150. In they end though it's your choice of course, just putting this out there for ya! :)