O2 sensors does anybody know the quick Fixx how to fix the grounds for the O2 sensors

Petercan1020

A video stating that you can ground or fix the ground with the 02 census ground to the motor and run a separate ground wire to the battery does anybody know where the ground location would be on an 02 Pathfinder going to the motor intake manifold all I see are the blue plugs for the O2 sensors but I can't find the ground to the motor I saw a video on YouTube doing in on an Xterra but the motor looks different

If your just needing to make a new ground you could attach it anywhere on the block that has a bolt and run it to the same spot as the ground wire attaches to on either the engine or battery.

I just looked at my 2001 and found a good spot for attachment on the engine. Right where the upper radiator hose attaches to the metal pipe at the front of the engine is a bolt that holds the bracket for the metal pipe. I would run a 10 gauge wire between that bolt and either the battery terminal or a body grounding location. There were 2 body grounds close by that I noticed, one was right behind the strut mounting bolts and another is in front of the battery attached to the core support.

If you can't find a good spot you can also use a self tapping bolt and attach the wire from the alternator bracket (or any bracket for that matter) to the body grounding point or directly to the battery.

You could also remove the main ground wire from the battery to the engine and clean all the contact points with a steel wire brush and reattach (I use a round brush attached to a drill to clean them fast). Do the same for any ground wires you see attached to the body under the hood.

So do i attach any wires or connect any wires to the O2 sensors and then run the ground 2 spot on the car I read that the O2 sensors will start giving codes because the grounds seem to rot out or just get a bad connection, are we talking about the same thing

So do i attach any wires or connect any wires to the O2 sensors and then run the ground 2 spot on the car I read that the O2 sensors will start giving codes because the grounds seem to rot out or just get a bad connection, are we talking about the same thing

I haven't heard of the issue before for these vehicles but most likely what they mean is the engine to body / battery grounds are rusted or corroded and need to be cleaned. On most O2 sensors instead of supplying a ground wire they just use the exhaust pipe as the ground. WHen the ground wires on the engine become rusted or corroded then the O2 sensors (as well as other sensors) can't properly ground and it causes issues.

If it were me I would try to remove the O2 sensors and clean the threads with steel wire brushes and reinstall. If the sensors have been in a while they may be extremely difficult to remove without damaging them. If they are too difficult or you don't feel comfortable trying to remove them then just skip it. Then locate every body and battery ground I could find and do the same making sure to remove the paint under each ground that attaches to a painted surface for a better connection. Follow the battery ground wire from the battery to where it connects to the engine. Remove that bolt and clean all surfaces well with a steel wire brush (don't forget to clean the end of the wire surfaces) and reattach. If you have a drill or dremel they will make cleaning all the surfaces faster.

On mine the ground wire attaches to the engine just above the exhaust on the passenger side. It looks like the attachment point is part of the exhaust, possibly the heat shields, which is not always the best choice as Anything attached to the exhaust will tend to rust really bad (I have only glanced at it so I may be wrong on this).

While you are under the vehicle looking at the O2 sensors look for ground wires that attach to the bottom side of the block. Manufacturers seem to like attaching them to the bottom side of the engine to the frame and / or body. On most cars (don't know if this holds true for Nissans yet) the ground wires look like a flat braided wire without any insulation on them. Do a google search for "braided engine ground wire" and look at some pictures. That will give you an idea of what to look for.

No one has mentioned that when reassembling the ground points, to use an ANTISIEZE COMPOUND between the terminal and the frame. That being said, I use Neversieze on almost any threaded item I take apart and reassemble, especially on any exterior fastening point. That stuff last almost forever...

No one has mentioned that when reassembling the ground points, to use an ANTISIEZE COMPOUND between the terminal and the frame. That being said, I use Neversieze on almost any threaded item I take apart and reassemble, especially on any exterior fastening point. That stuff last almost forever...

I was going to suggest that but not sure how the grounding points would react if any was to get between the surfaces. Just have to make sure you don't get the compound on anything but the bolt thread surfaces.

Also dunno what the temp limit is on antisieze but not sure if it would hold up to the heat generated by the cat if trying to use it on the O2 sensors nearby. I regularly use it on spark plugs but they don't get anywhere close to the temps a cat will generate. Guess I will have to look that up now.