Oil leak from the clutch hole in the transmission

chapter

There is a major oil leak under my truck (Pathfinder 90, 375000km). I finally found that the oil is coming from the hole in the transmission for the clutch activation!!! I don't know how is build in the transmission but it's not transmission oil but engine oil?????????? So I don't understand why the oil is coming from there and what is the problem. HELP!!!!!!

That's I think too... So to solve this they have to remove the transmission and the clutch to change this seal... Do they have to remove something else????? Is it the same job than a clutch change or more complicated????

Hey chapter, I believe it is the same as a clutch job +removing the flywheel and pilot bushing so if you are having the seal replaced, may as well install a new clutch if yours has more than 20-30K on it... GL

B

The clutch was change 3 years ago when they change bearing inside the tranny... This truck is 16 years old with 375000km on it. So according to you, is it a good idea to put more money to fix the tranny again + rear oil seal + clutch + ??? or the best thing to do is leave it like that and sell it to buy another one????

How's the rest of the truck? Still solid? Engine have good compression, etc.? If it does, I'd think about hanging on to it. Doesn't sound like there's any reason to spend money on the tranny, though. Drop the tranny out, put in a new rear motor seal & clutch kit, and bolt it back together. P...

You're the only one that can make the decision as to whether or not it's worth it. But you'll take a big hit with those kinds of problems if you do try to sell it... :contract:

Meanwhile keep a close watch on your dipstick until you make a decision... :unsure:

Well, I thinked about it and I will buy another truck BUT I will keep this one for off road purpose!!!! I will pay for to fix the transmission and seal, put bigger tire on it to do more off road. After I will sell it like an off road truck to try to have more money for it. The truck is in goog shape, it was the family truck for long trip and everything. This truck fail only 2 times: one time it was the coil wire and the second time it was the alternator. It's not too bad on 250000km!!!! (There was 125000km when I bought it).

I am with Hardwaretoad and Precise1. I did mine while the motor was out on my 5 speed. Because of the oil ..it completely fried my clutch to hell wouldn't have it...

I got an new clutch for $178 and it's like driving a new Pathy because the clutch had been slipping so long -bounce-