On the topic of CV Boot Kits..

ChemExposure

Are CV Boot kits worth it? My 2001 SE 3.5 Pathfinder has 220k on it, my CV boots look like they may be cracking around the edges so I'm debating on ordering a boot kit at the same time as my u-joints so I can get free shipping, it's only going to be 40 dollars Canadian so it's no issue to me otherwise I'd be wasting 15 bucks.

I have no service history of my vehicle but if I remember correctly I could see the barcode tag on it so they can't be too old.

How long have CV joints lasted in your Pathfinders discluding failure due to CV Boot tears or deterioration?

Boot kits on cv axles that are still in good shape and haven't had their boots torn or ripped off are a good choice if you don't mind disassembling the cv axle to replace the boot and regrease everything. If your boots are already torn open and dirt and grime have made their way inside then I'd contemplate going ahead and just replacing the axle as a whole.

As for cv longevity I've had a 1990 pathfinder and it still has the original cv axles up front and I now have an 87 with original cv axles. Part time 4wd systems will usually have a longer life span than a system that is full time AWD due to the constant rubber fatigue.

Sent from inside my potato

Edited by RCWD21

That's good to hear, I always hear of people breaking their CVs so it's got me a bit cautious, but I guess that's a result of extreme offroading. My front right is just at the point where I can see small cracks on the crease. No grease has come through so I'm probably safe for now, I just hope we don't get an extended winter this year.

I'm probably going to get the boots. They're EMPI brand, has anyone had experiences with their products? It doesn't list country of origin so I'm kinda weary about them.

This kit comes with grease as well, but I wonder if it's actually the best grease out there for CV joints. Is there something aftermarket that's a bit better or am I just being overcautious?

Edited by ChemExposure

I've used the EMPI brand on my old pathfinder and it came with grease as well so it may be the same kits you're looking at, but it's been a while. I had good luck with them, but with anything there's always going to be the possibility of some better product. Most of it comes down to user choice. I mean honestly I'd get the EMPI boot kits. Just take your time and make sure the cv axle is clean and work a little of the grease into the internal coupler piece (you'll see what I mean once you remove a boot) use all the grease in the kit. Don't be shy because it's the life of the cv axle.

Unfortunately the cheapest CV Joint I've found in Canada discluding remanufactures is 100 for just the shaft, unless I'm just really bad at looking. I guess if I do the boot and the CV does end up being bad it's not a whole lot to replace the CV shaft.

Okay, that's really reassuring to hear. I'm definitely not known for being sheepish with the grease, the red, blue and black marks on doorframes of my house are evidence of that.

Is it regular to replace the axle shaft seals at the same time as the CV? For a comparison of life, one of my inner wheel seals was bad so it had to be replaced but the other is fine. The rubber seemed okay on both of them.

I've only ever replaced them if they're obviously bad, just make sure everything is clean and put a little grease in the seal groove so it's not dry and you should be ok.

I've just put in the order for 4 boots. Hopefully it'll ship out tomorrow morning. Thanks for the advice, I'll probably post pictures in my build thread whenever I get around to that. We've just got a whole load of snow again so it's looking like I'll be waiting until late February to start any work.

• Like 1

ive had my pathy for about 9 years, the boots have been ripped since i bought it. About 3 or 4 years ago i put manual hubs on it, cv's are still going fine. need to get them out of there and boot kit them or replace them eventually i guess.

Pat