changing a/c belt

Guest craig

Guest craig

I don't have a shop manual/haynes/chilton or whatever, but I bet if I did, I wouldn't have to ask this:

How do I release the tension for the ac belt? I got the tensioner underneath to take off the first belt, but I cannot for the life of me see where the ac compressor tension is held at..

I searched on here and came up with "by the alternator"....anything more specific?

:Magic:

if I recall correctly, you just remove the top bolt and loosen the bottom. the compressor should pivot on the lower and allow you to replace the belt. To tighten it, throw a big screwdriver between the compressor and the mount bracket. pry and tighten.

Guest craig

thanks a million guys...I was driving myself nuts over this, and I wasn't even looking in the right spot.

:clap:

Guest craig

Damnitttttttt...Now it looks like the idler pulley is seized. It won't spin with the belt....

:furious: :furious:

Damnitttttttt...Now it looks like the idler pulley is seized. It won't spin with the belt....

:furious: :furious:

If I remember right, I think somebody had posted something about replacing the bearings in the idler pulley rather than replacign the whole thing. You might search for it, probably 1 year + ago. And if you find it, post it again. Mine has been making some noise. ;)

Guest craig

Couldn't find it, but I just got a new one at the dealer($50)

When I took the old one off the bearings were all destroyed. Shrapnel everywhere....