open or lsd? kindly ID my rear diff, WD21 terrano TD27 NA, manual

dirtbike23

More than you wanted to know probably. :blush:

Absolutely sir...really learned a lot in here though mine is diesel but other aspect shares the same with the pathfinders

Edited by dirtbike23

I have a question for the gurus, if I may....

Firstly, that diff does look like the C200. I have it on the rear of my 2.7td Hardbody Stationwagon with 4.88 gearing. I was also told it was LSD and even filled it with LSX oil when I changed oil after a drowning.

Turns out it a open diff.

But I'm now busy with some mods, I have a C200 from a Patrol installed in the front and going with the H260 MQ Patrol heavy duty in the rear.

Now for the question, will a LSD carrier be a straight fit into my C200 diff in the front? Is there any problem with the direction the front diff runs.

What gets changed? and do I have to look at things like spline counts of side shafts, or am I complicating things.

Why I ask, is I know the H260 has an awesome LSD and feel my wallet can't support a locker. I have been told by some Australian guys that my best option would be to go with a locker in the front with the LSD rear.

I think I stand a better chance of finding a C200 LSD than locker. Besides a very expensive ARB unit, my only other option is a local brand that is known to break ....Hence my questions.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have a C200 from a Patrol installed in the front and going with the H260 MQ Patrol heavy duty in the rear.

Now for the question, will a LSD carrier be a straight fit into my C200 diff in the front? Is there any problem with the direction the front diff runs.

Why I ask, is I know the H260 has an awesome LSD and feel my wallet can't support a locker. I have been told by some Australian guys that my best option would be to go with a locker in the front with the LSD rear.

Patrols didn't have a C200 front axle (I don't believe that even exists). They had H233B front and rear; front is 31-spline, rear is 33-spline. I know of the H260 rear, but I do not know what models/trims they were on.

I'm also not sure if Patrols came with rear open diffs...I think they were either LSD or factory locker (vacuum operated). The locked version looks like this:

IMG_2543.jpg

Here's an interesting post about a guy who decided to move it to the front axle.

If you plan to go with either H233B or H260, you'll likely be in good shape. Then, with an H233B front, you have several mechanical locker options, which I described in another post just other day, in fact. The Lokka is probably the most accessible for you, then maybe Spartan, then Lock Right.

If you have an LSD rear and open front, I generally agree with locking the front first (especially if IFS, which you won't be of course). But, with straight axles, I'd say it's only slightly better to go locked/LSD (front/rear) than open/locked. It also depends on the LSD...the US versions got pretty weak after 1998, but I have no clue what the specs were for Patrols. You could also find an LSD out of a Terrano/Pathinder or Hardbody with the H233B rear and it will fit the Patrol front axle. The WD21 and D21 had great LSD numbers.

Thanks for the info.

I should have clarified my setup.

I raped a 1980-83 MQ UTE, actually called a Safari here in South Africa.

Sorry, but this is the best pucture I can find on my phone.

b5196241cf364669a3b7db3f4aaefac5.jpg

It think its the same as the rear diff that my 97 Hardbody came with.

a8c898446b2404aef544c670fec61f49.jpg

Both are open and 4.88 ratio.

I had another look under the car this afternoon. Carrier portions look very similar, but the covers would not be able to swop between the two diffs.

Is the H233 a third member setup and the C200 the carrier in the pumpkin with just a back plate/cover?

As far as I can figure, I have C200 back and front. A few years ago I purchased a lockrite unit, and only realised when it arrived, it was not for my diff. The Autralian guys just assumed I had the H233 as this is how the D21 was released over there.

My question is more about what can be used in the front diff where the direction of the drive does mot matter.

In other words, if I found a 2wd Hardbody of the same year with a locker or LSD in the rear, would I be able to build the traction control device onto my existing crownwheel.

Excuse my layman's terminology, this is all new to me. Closest I have got to working on a diff, was to remove the cover to replace the cover seal that was leaking.

I already have another daunting task ahead of me with my H260. It has a leaking pinion seal that I need to do. The seal is purchased and laying on the corner if my desk for a few months now. I've just been petrified to do it and possibly mess something up. Kinda hoping for a windfall so I can pay someone the big money to replace the seal. But the guys are wanting to charge me more than I paid for the diff.

Not sure what that front axle is...looks more Dana-like. The somewhat trademark about the C200 and R200A axles is the shared diff covers...and if they were both C200, those covers should be interchangeable. The internals would also be the same/similar. I'm just not sure that front is Nissan.

Removed it from this.

f2dd64e8938aef8d336b408060f99421.jpg

1980-83 Datsun Safari/Patrol MQ

Along with drive shafts, rear end and transfer case.

Well, I found another reference pic of an MQ Patrol with that axle, and I stand corrected: that does appear to be a Nissan axle. ARB also indicates a front C200 from 1979-88, and p/n RD107 fits (which for sure also fits C200 and R200A front and rear diffs; just installed one last weekend, actually).

So wow, a front C200. I really wish we got those trucks here....not that a RH drop diff would help us much.

But I guess in your case, any C200/R200A locker (ARB, TJM, Eaton, Lokka) ought to fit, but you might be able to find an LSD from another rear C200-equipped Terrano that should install up front.

And that's what I am hoping for. Problem is these things hardly make it to the junk yards. They get sold complete, and believe it or not, mine was a runner.

I just managed to beat the guy down so low on his price that I picked it up for less than a Dana35 would have cost me for my SFA, and that before I even included the price to regear to 4.88.

These diffs I got, came with 4.88 gearing for about three years in South Africa on the Safari Heavy Duty.

And yes you are right, there is probably not many people that would consider these diffs for a D21 SFA because they are right drop both front and rear.

But when I had a look at the Calmini TX10 doubler kit, the cost to import it was on par with purchasing that Safari/MQ.

So, for the same price, I do my TC doubler through a divorced unit, and I get to uprade my Hardbody diffs.....Well I consider a C200 front and H260 rear to be an upgrade, doubt I am wrong.