What did you replace your R50 with?

kentai3838

Hi all,

I have an 2002 Pathfinder SE. It has served me well; now at 170k miles. Recently I noticed transmission slipping; I think it's days are numbered.

Just curious, for those of you who also like this vintage of SUV - what did you replace it with? For myself, I need 3rd for occasional use; and 4WD for occasional beach driving on soft sand. So far, I am thinking about Pilot or Pathfinder between 09-12. Not interested on newer Pathfinder with CVT's.

Any pointers?

Ken

I have never owned anything other than my R50, but a question I can come up with that may help is how important are offroad capabilities and other truck-like qualities such as load/towing capacity to you? Also, do you want to stay with a Japanese manufacturer? How old can it be?

Good luck in your search.

I plan on getting an XTerra ProX4 Manual to replace my R50. That's several years away and I don't need 3rd row. My wife has a 2015 Toyota Venza AWD XLE, I love that thing and it's amazing in snow.

I would rather drive an awd Safari van than something like the Armada, they are so hideous but that's just me.

We were driving a Toyota Matrix with ice racing tires and loved it but it was cracking 200k miles, prior to that an 08 Grand Prix but it wasn't working with car seats.

Edited by LittleFR

I would say, 99% on road, 1% off road on beach driving on soft sand. so, 4wd is a must. AWD won't work.

Towing doesn't matter to me. 3rd row is a must. i haven't give much thought to domestic vs Japanese. I only started looking at next gen pathy R51 since it still has 4WD.

since most of time, it is doing family hauling, so, i dont want too old. I am thinking 2009 to 2012, at least for Pathy. Pilot is the other suv I am looking into.

thanks for any advice .

I have never owned anything other than my R50, but a question I can come up with that may help is how important are offroad capabilities and other truck-like qualities such as load/towing capacity to you? Also, do you want to stay with a Japanese manufacturer? How old can it be?

Good luck in your search.

What's your budget? I love my 1st-gen Sequoia. I picked mine up for $8500, although it had 232K on the odometer. Comparable lower-mileage models were up to $15K, so even if I have to replace the engine at some point, I'll still be ahead.

It has plenty of space behind the 3rd row, and the 3rd row seats are still comfortable enough for an adult to sit in without having your knees up to your chest. Compared to my R50, the Sequoia is cavernous. When I drive the Pathy after a week or so in the Sequoia, the Pathy feels like a sports car. It's worth noting that smaller SUV's (4Runner, GX470, Pathfinder R51) with a 3rd row had cramped 3rd row seats, or when the 3rd row was in use, had virtually no cargo space behind the 3rd row. I looked at the Armada and QX56, but the rear independent suspension turned me away.

The 1st-gen Sequoia has a solid rear axle, a lockable Torsen center diff and a 2.57:1 low-range transfer case. I bought it for family-hauling and camping trips, and it's been great so far. I've put another 28K on it, and it still runs strong.

• Like 1

I still have the Pathy, but here's my other rig, which is much more spacious than my Pathy for carrying both people AND camping gear:

2005 Sequoia

It looks like yours is lifted. Do Tundra upgrade parts fit on the Sequoia?

It looks like yours is lifted. Do Tundra upgrade parts fit on the Sequoia?

Yes, it's lifted. Tundra parts do fit it, to a degree. It's basically a Tundra from the B-billar forward. But like the Pathfinder, some amount of customization has been needed, since there's less aftermarket support for it than other Toyota platforms.