Steering Draglink Slider Plates

NZ Terrano Owner

I have installed home made "slider Plates" under the chassis, above the steering draglink/tierod end/steering, idler arm area. The idea is to prevent the draglink/tierod end from being pushed up when the suspension is being forced up by a rock or log when steering is at full lock. This will hopefully increase the life of these parts.

I used 6mm x 80 MS flat, 230mm long and 2, M10 x90mm bolts for each side.

To attach the plate under the chassis you can either weld it directly to the chassis, or, as I did, weld another plate (80mm long) at a right angle above the slider plate, drill 2 holes mid way for the M10 bolts and then bolt through the chassis just in front of the top UCA's, in line with the draglink. I also added a gusset to strenghten the whole deal.

The slider plates need to be placed with about 125mm sticking out the side of the chassis. If you go out too far they will rub on the inside of the wheel. so just far enough to cover the inner tierod end bolt at full lock. I had to grind a bit off the rear edge of the plates to stop them interferring with the UCA's.

When drilling the holes for the bolts, be careful as on the inside of the chassis on the steering box side is a flange that could end up right in the way. I was lucky and just missed it.

I have taken photos of mine installed, so will post as soon as I finish the film and get it developed onto disc.

We went for a run up a very bouldery riverbed last weekend, and I could hear the plates being hit, so they were doing their job. My friend who has had his installed for awhile has a definite groove where the draglink/tierod has been rubbing.

I figure that for the small amount of work involved, if it even makes the steering parts last 50% longer it's got to be worth it.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got my film developed. Hope the photo's make it a bit clearer. Remember that you are looking at the left side of my truck, - it is a right hand drive! The sketch is of the plate. Make one for each side. Be sure to round off the ends to prevent them from fouling on the UCA's and inside of wheels. This simple mod should extend the life of your tierods, idler arm, etc

post-9-1113472581.jpg

Hey now, there's some innovation. That'll work on stock steering to a degree...if the tie rods or centerlink develop excessive side-to-side wear, you'll still get parts to fail, but at least it won't twist as bad as it would without the sliders. Good work, man. :)