my Pathfinder just upped and started ideling rufff

I have a v6 was running tight last night. Put 91 octane in it and drove even better today on my way home it did this up and bam like in a split second as if something stopped working or fuel went bad. So i changed the fuel filter went over everything i could tonight but seems to run the same when ideling? LIke crap!!!

It runs alright at normal running rpms but as soon as i stop to a idel it sounds like its running on 5 cylinders?

Anyone ever have this issue?

Is it a quick fix such as a oxygen sensor or something dumb or is the engine on its way out with all my highway driving i have done the last 2 months?

Running 91 octane in your Pathy won't do diddly squat but empty your wallet. Check all your plug wires, electrical connectors, vaccuum lines and perhaps change the fuel filter if it hasn't been done lately.

It also may just be the fuel. Who knows?

on my way home it did this up and bam like in a split second as if something stopped working or fuel went bad.

*Bold highlight mine

By this do you mean that it like backfired & started running crappy, or "up and bam" as in it was just a sudden event? Did it "cough" or anything? Possibly you've jumped a cog on your timing belt if it did, how many miles on yours? I'm just trying to think outside the bad fuel or plugs/wires boxes. Sounded like you've already checked those things...

Have you checked the distributor? Cracked cap, loose adjustment clamp, things like that.

88's right, 91 won't do anything for you... mine's lived most of it's life in Nv. on 85 octane with no detrimental effects, but that's another story... -study-

Let us know how you fare... :type:

well today inj the light it was a vac line that runs tot he air cleaner i could hear the hissssin sound. as soon as replaced onto the aircleaner part ran like normal.

In regards to the gas the cheap i can really tell a diff since running the cheap then went the next step up and since we get these deals late nights in town all gas is the same as cheapest so i filled up with the highest octane for the price as the lowest octane.. And dudeeeeee it flys up hills squaks tires it makes a difference 100% Highway driving takes me a 2 week period to drain the tank! Vac lines are so important..

Good score on that vaccuum hose. Those things can cripple a truck. Here's a shot out to replacing them semi-regularly, particularly if you notice an issue with them.

Its funny what different people experience on different fuel. I've run everything available from the AM/PM cheap fuel every fill-up in Kent, WA (where I live) that 87Pathy hates to premium + octane booster when I was nieve and didn't know any better but thought I was giving the former beast a treat. It all did the same. But I guess I've got a stubborn girl in this Pathy. Even towing a 16' boat over a 500 mile trip over 2 passes coming and going only dropped my mileage about 1-2 mpg.

Yeah, my '92 has a bad plug wire that I know of (I'm too lazy to fix it) and it runs like crap at idle. I've seen it spark with the hood up...should probably get a new wire...eh...

As far as octane. I use 10% ethanol which is 90 octane...it's actually 0.03 cheaper than regular gas. I notice under hard acceleration I don't get valves rattling either, which comforts me. Anyway, I wouldn't pay extra for it.

Anyway, I'd check the plug wires...other than that it could be anything...my '88 is still acting up...I've put everything new in I could think of. Under acceleration she just pisses out and decides to drop to idle. I put a TPS in, MAF in, O2 sensor, fuel pump, fuel filter, water temp sensor thingy....a couple other things I don't remember right now. Checked the vacuum hoses, they were fine...injectors were fine....So, I just drive it every once in a while and cuss and swear at it. Gotta love cars when they act up. I'm about ready to trash it though. If I do I'll let you guys know of any parts worth anything.