95 pathfinder front door speakers stopped working randomly

tendadus

Hey all,

So earlier tonight my front door speakers on my pathy randomly stopped working. the rear speakers in the cargo area are still working.

after a fair bit of searching the forum i've come across a few options that may be the problem. first was the fuse. i checked the audio and radio fuse in the drive side fuse box and both the radio and speaker fuse was fine. that leaves me with the last two options. i blew the speakers (hopefully not the case) or the [audio amp relay ]??? is the problem.

not being a audio guy i'm not quite sure what that is or where to look for that. my headunit(i think that's the current radio set up) is a jvc kd-R530 and as far as i know the speakers and subs are all stock (though i'm not sure), but if anyone could help me diagnose this problem so i can get back to jammin while driving it would be a great help.

please and thank you

Sounds like the amp is shorting out. It's pretty common. The amp is located in the front under the head unit. It's best to bypass the amps anyways.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Sounds like the amp is shorting out. It's pretty common. The amp is located in the front under the head unit. It's best to bypass the amps anyways.

so what does an amp look like? again not much of a audio buff here.

thanks for responding.

It's about 4x4 and if you pull the wiring harness from your cd player you'll notice that the other end connects to the amp. It'd a small metal box with heat sink fins and holes in the body. I think the antenna plugs into it as well. It's located behind and below the cd player.

Info Update:

So this morning the speakers both came back on, when I started the car. after about 5 mins they stopped working again, but turning off and on the radio made the passenger side work again at regular volume, and the driver side was working at a very low volume. playing with the fading and balance setting on my radio confirmed that the driver side is barely working.

Did we perhaps misdiagnose the problem ?

thanks for your replies

Tough to know. Could be the amps crapping out, could be wiring issues. If your '95 is like mine was, both audio amps are behind the plastic on the passenger's side of the cargo area. Unplug those and see if the remaining speakers quit. If they do, then your stereo is wired though them... if not then they've been bypassed already.

I would take out the head unit and see what the wiring looks like behind it. Stereo wiring isn't that complicated but boy do some people screw it up. When I got my '93, the passenger's side door speaker was kaput. Turned out the last guy's crimp connector had trapped water and rotted through one of the wires.