Rattling when under load only in drive?

It doesn't look like this has come up before, does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

When my Pathfinder's in drive, at around what I can only assume is 1250 RPM, it sounds like there is a metal rattling noise coming from the front. It also seems to do it more while I'm turning left rather than driving straight or turning right. I know this is a vague description of the issue, I just want to see if anyone can rule anything out right away. I will be posting a follow up video that hopefully documents the issue.

I've already searched the engine bay and underside of the car briefly, I just don't want to spend hours aimlessly trying to track down the sound if the problem has come up before for someone else. Thanks everyone! :happy:

It doesn't look like this has come up before, does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

When my Pathfinder's in drive, at around what I can only assume is 1250 RPM, it sounds like there is a metal rattling noise coming from the front. It also seems to do it more while I'm turning left rather than driving straight or turning right. I know this is a vague description of the issue, I just want to see if anyone can rule anything out right away. I will be posting a follow up video that hopefully documents the issue.

I've already searched the engine bay and underside of the car briefly, I just don't want to spend hours aimlessly trying to track down the sound if the problem has come up before for someone else. Thanks everyone! :happy:

And here's the follow up video. Please excuse the constant sound of sprinklers in the background!

Can't really make out the sound in the video but my first thought is heat shields. My '95 had a pretty good rattle off the shields on the downpipes. The shields rot around the spot welds, get a little loose, and rattle against each other and the exhaust. I tried to work mine free but the other welds were still holding and were tough to get to with tools, so I just wrapped baling wire around them and twisted the ends until what was left of the shields were held tight against the tubes.

• Like 1

Can't really make out the sound in the video but my first thought is heat shields. My '95 had a pretty good rattle off the shields on the downpipes. The shields rot around the spot welds, get a little loose, and rattle against each other and the exhaust. I tried to work mine free but the other welds were still holding and were tough to get to with tools, so I just wrapped baling wire around them and twisted the ends until what was left of the shields were held tight against the tubes.

I didn't even think of this, and now that I look my heat shields definitely have a crack in them so it could be this for sure! Thank you! Also if you still have your 95 around, is it too much of a hassle for you to maybe snap a few pictures and show me your baling wire wrapping job? Just to get an idea of what you did...

IIRC I just hacked off what I could and wired up the rest like you would a bread bag. Hose clamps would be better if you can get them in there. It's still parked out by the shop (what's left of it) so I'll see about getting a picture when it's light out.

The heat shield on the top of my cat keeps rusting away at the weld points. I tac-weld it back as much as I can. Eventually, I'll just rip the heat shield off. All it takes is 1 corner to be loose to drive you crazy