Sub setup

96pfinderSE

A capacitor is a device capable of extremely fast voltage charge and discharge. It will dump everything inside it in a split second when the bass hits and then recharge for more.

Hence, what I said, only streamlined and specific. :P

You think a capacitor would help out with my system of a pioneer head, 12" JL Audio, and a 500w Kenwood amp... The light in the head unit goes from bright to dim when I turn it up. I have the amp/woofer hooked up with the RCA's in the back of the pioneer....

Yes, it will solve it with that dimming, especially if you're only running a 500 watt amp. Mine went from strong dimming noticable in the headlights, to barely a hint on close to full power. But that's a 1000 watt Alpine amp, which is right at the high end of the rating for a 1 farad cap. If you used a 1 farad cap, you should be fine. BTW, check eBay. I got a Phoenix Gold PowerFlow 1 farad cap, which normally goes for well over $100, for $35 with shipping. Just keep your eyes open.

If you want good loud base but your still after clarity I would defiantly have to recommend going with a pair of Kappa series subs from Infinity. Alpines Type S series also hits hard while keeping the response real tight. If you’re on a bit of a budget, see if you can find any retailers that sell MA Audio. Or just buy some stolen equipment, that’s always one way to get a good system without spending a bunch. :aok:

Can anyone help me out a bit? I really don't know much about pairing amps to subs. I picked up this box with 2 12" JBLs. I asked the person who gave it to me what the RMS/Peak ratings on it and he didn't know since he had his cousin set it up. I asked his cousin and he forgot. *sigh* A friend at work showed me his sub and connected his amp to one of my subs. (Subs were wired independently) I don't know what kind of amp to get.

With my lack of knowledge, I might buy either 2 mono channel amps, 1 dual channel amp, or 1 4 channel amp and then bridge it down to 2 channels.

Since the subs are JBL, I'm looking for a JBL amp. Not to be so stubborn about it, but I guess I want things to match.

The 'power series' subs are about 400w RMS at 2 ohms (not sure if that's the kind you have.) If you want to use mono JBL amps, you could go with the GTO301.1 - that's 294w into 2 ohms, those amps are around $200 apiece maybe... I couldn't find a JBL amp that was closer to 400w but I didn't look too hard.

Edited by statikuz