Something new

jjonez

So a couple of months ago my 1997 SE 5-speed went from this:

20160130_114933.jpg

20160130_114949.jpg

To this:

20160212_104738.jpg

20160215_171525.jpg

Needless to say I was pretty devastated, and immediately started trying to find something to fill the void.

And this is what I've ended up with:

20160422_112843.jpg

1987 SE, super clean inside and out. Only 125k miles. Despite that, this is by far the oldest car I've ever owned and it does make me kind of nervous, but maybe you guys can put my mind at ease?

• Like 2

What I've noticed so far are possibly common issues I've read about. Under acceleration/load I hear a fluttering/flapping sound from the engine. Exhaust leak from broken manifold studs? Also, I've been listening for the gear whine from the improper transmission fluid level, and I only hear something faint in 5th gear on the highway. I'm swapping the fluid tomorrow with the correct amount of MT90 and maybe some lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer, should I be concerned? I've read that it's mostly a concern for severe duty/hill climbing, but I believe the vehicle has spent it's whole life in SoCal where that's not too relevant. Thanks for the help

JJ

Good find. Always glad to see another 2-door getting saved, especially a 29 year old model that looks to be in great shape. These WD21s are pretty bullet proof. With regular maintenance, it can easily run for another 200K miles.

You're probably right that the ticking noise is from broken manifold studs.

At that mileage, you also want to make sure that the timing belt has been replaced.

(Mine's got an automatic tranny, so can't help with the MT question.)

I have the receipt for the timing belt done 5 years ago. It's only been driven about 4000 miles since then. Are there any concerns associated with the broken studs other than the noise?

Yes, power loss, more fuel burned, and your vehicle sounding like crap as it will get worse. It's not the worst job in the world to do but it is cramped in there.

When I'm accelerating I do notice occasional weird dead spots in the rev range when the car is still warming up. Possibly associated?

When I'm accelerating I do notice occasional weird dead spots in the rev range when the car is still warming up. Possibly associated?

Doubtful. That sounds more like a bad o2 sensor or cylinder head temp sensor.

Doubtful. That sounds more like a bad o2 sensor or cylinder head temp sensor.

I see. I should probably already know this, but are there any diagnostic components for the 1st gens?

so what happens to the 97?

Man it kills me that it still ran completely fine, no damage to the suspension or drive train. There was just too much body/frame damage to be repairable, so I handed it off to the insurance company for a check. But not before pulling my wheels, spacers, and warn hubs. I had less than 400 miles on my wheel/tire setup :(

I see. I should probably already know this, but are there any diagnostic components for the 1st gens?

Man it kills me that it still ran completely fine, no damage to the suspension or drive train. There was just too much body/frame damage to be repairable, so I handed it off to the insurance company for a check. But not before pulling my wheels, spacers, and warn hubs. I had less than 400 miles on my wheel/tire setup :(

It would have been perfect for a upgrade donor for the 87

Yeah... I'm still kicking myself over that. Realistically though I didn't know if I would end up with another pathfinder, and I don't really have anywhere to store a wrecked vehicle. I'm already pressing my luck keeping two other cars in the parking garage at work haha.