AC Clicking noise NEED HELP

visivopro

Hey guys/gals

Heading out on a 2300 miles road trip from Central Mexico to Atlanta and need help identifying a strange noise when the AC is turned on. AC Still blows cold.

Here is a video I shot for you guys to show the issue:

https://youtu.be/LA7WEL-8Sac

1998 Nissan Pathfinder SE

I'm guessing its the AC compressor but I'd like to know for sure before I go spend a bunch of money replacing it (parts for pathfinders are hard to find in Mexico) or fixing it.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by visivopro

Yup. AC compressor. Could be the clutch, could be the compressor itself. If you can find one and get it replaced before the trip. Go for it. Remember you'll also need to recharge the system.

Or, could wait until you get to Atlanta? If your going to be moving there. It may make the journey, just with a bunch of racket. May let go on the way.

Yeah I figured as much, I think I can get it fixed here, can you tell me if the compressor is Nissan specific of if I can get a generic one?

Much bigger chance of finding a generic one vs a Nissan specific one.

Thanks for taking the time.

I wouldn't worry about an oem one. As long as it's the correct rebuilt one.

While doing that I would have them flush the system real good and replace all the oring and expansion valve.

Because when a compressor goes bad. Some of the pieces can get into the system in thr condenser and other piping. Which you don't want coming loose later and eating up your new compressor. The expansion valve is basically a maintenance part. Age and debris in thr system can cause it to stick or failure.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Would you suggest I get this done professionally? Or is this something I can do on my own? I'm pretty handy and I have access to a professional Race Car Garage with a car lift.

Thanks for the replies.

Edited by visivopro

I'm no HVAC tech but yeah, that's not a good sound for a compressor to make.

It can be done at home, if you're up for a challenge. I helped a friend replace the whole system on his Blazer. We weren't sure what exactly was wrong, so he bought pretty much every part and we just swapped out the lot. It wasn't too hard of a job but we had to make sure to get the oil level right, and vacuum the system down before filling, and of course fight past all the junk Chevy had packed in around the stuff we needed to get to. We found that the compressor had died a crunchy death and spewed shrapnel into the system. The bits accumulated in some kind of screen before the evaporator core. Because we replaced pretty much everything, there was nothing left to flush, and because the old system didn't hold pressure, we didn't have to deal with the old refrigerant either. He bought a manifold set for recharging but forgot the adapter, so we just charged it with one of those cheap recharge kits you can get at auto parts places. A shop would probably evacuate and fill for you if you didn't want to do that part, and I'm sure somebody's worked out how to flush components at home. I guess it comes down to whether you'd rather screw around with it yourself or cut a check.

I'm no HVAC tech but yeah, that's not a good sound for a compressor to make.

It can be done at home, if you're up for a challenge. I helped a friend replace the whole system on his Blazer. We weren't sure what exactly was wrong, so he bought pretty much every part and we just swapped out the lot. It wasn't too hard of a job but we had to make sure to get the oil level right, and vacuum the system down before filling, and of course fight past all the junk Chevy had packed in around the stuff we needed to get to. We found that the compressor had died a crunchy death and spewed shrapnel into the system. The bits accumulated in some kind of screen before the evaporator core. Because we replaced pretty much everything, there was nothing left to flush, and because the old system didn't hold pressure, we didn't have to deal with the old refrigerant either. He bought a manifold set for recharging but forgot the adapter, so we just charged it with one of those cheap recharge kits you can get at auto parts places. A shop would probably evacuate and fill for you if you didn't want to do that part, and I'm sure somebody's worked out how to flush components at home. I guess it comes down to whether you'd rather screw around with it yourself or cut a check.

Changing parts and what not is no problem, I'd be more worried about getting the oil levels right and how to pressurize the system and recharge the refrigerant.

Sounds like it might be better to have a shop deal with it. Mechanic labor is pretty cheap here, its the parts that can cost.

Thanks for the input.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk