Question about rear shocks

Megaton

I just ordered a set of GR-2 KYB struts and Bilstein shocks for my pathfinder.The shocks are the ones AC uses for their 2" lift. Would it be Ok to run these without the 2" lift springs? My shocks are kaput and I would like to go ahead and install them. I don't have the money for the springs yet but they will come later. If I can't install them now I'll just have to tighten my kidney belt until I get the springs.

Technically, as long as you don't bottom out the suspension, you can run the longer shocks.

What is the compressed length of the shocks? You can likely find specs online if you google the Bilstein part number. If the compressed length is longer than about 1" over the original shock's compressed length, you risk bottoming out the shock before hitting the bumpstop, which will damage the shock.

The compressed length of the Bilstein is about 1 1/2 inches longer than the compressed length of an OEM replacement. It seems to me that the bump stops would have to be extended anyway. Even with the longer springs, the shock would bottom out before it hit the bump stop unless the spring somehow prevented it. I don't recall other members using a 2"lift having to extend their bump stops. I may have had a senior moment.