New Drive Belts

DePewPew

I had a service done at the dealer and they said I needed my drive belts replaced. So, I went bought Gates belts and took it to my mechanic and he put them on yesterday. This morning, it was cold for Alabama spring 40 degrees, and the 'finder screamed louder than I have ever heard. Stopped when it got really warmed up. Is this just new belts or did my mechanic not check the pulleys good enough? Any thoughts?

Probably just because you have new belts...there are 3 different tensioners and when the belts are loose it doesn't sound pretty...2 of them are on the top and the power steering is on the bottom should be 12mm just make sure they are tight

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

New or old a loose belt is a loose belt. Take it back and have him tighten them properly. That'll take care of the squeal unless there is a bad bearing somewhere.

• Like 1

Just tighten them yourself, takes 5 minutes. Make sure you only tighten enough to stop the noise. 2 or 3 turns should be enough. New belts break in after a little bit and stretch.

New or old a loose belt is a loose belt. Take it back and have him tighten them properly. That'll take care of the squeal unless there is a bad bearing somewhere.

What he said. I have had my pathfinder for almost 7 years and have changed my belts atleast 4 times within that span (everything but the ps belt. I think I've done that once) but this last time i was fed up of paying OEM belt money. I bought some gator back belts, and all new tensioner and pulley. She purrs now.

But I did the big change at 155k and the A/C pulley bearing definitely wasn't healthy. I think I paid around $60 for an OEM pulley and an aftermarket tensioner. Worth it in my opinion.

I'd say if you keep getting belt issues, maybe it's time for some new tensioner and pulley.

-Kyle