Front Tire Wear

ryanc

91 Pathfinder 4x4 204k

265/75/r16 Mudstars

About 8 months ago, I lifted my Pathy just shy of 3" with the JGC springs/crank up the T-bars. I replaced the tie rods and the steering center link as there was a bunch of movement in there, and then had it aligned. It was working out well until about a month ago I noticed alot of tire noise from my drivers tire and both wheels were visibly cambered in (negative camber). The tires are both wearing on the inside and have a weird wear pattern. The lugs on the tread are wearing in an alternating high/low pattern.

Any ideas on where to go from here? What could be wearing that would cause this type of wear? And what would cause my camber angle to be that bad over just a few months?

There are several possibilities. First of all, you did replace some steering stuff, but you should probably check it all again. Worn center links will take your alignment out pretty fast. With negative camber, I would check and make sure your shims on the upper control arms are still there. I would check to see what kind of warranty your alignment came with and maybe have it redone.

Next, did you put new shocks on at all? It's possible the tire may be "bouncing" causing the tires to cup. If you cranked the t-bars as high as they can go, you might want to bring them down a touch. This would also explain the negative camber look.

Have you considered some steering upgrades? I would recommend a idler arm brace and steering stabilizer at the minimum, especially if you wheel. Oh, do you have a printout from your previous alignment? If you do, take a pic of it and share. That would help to see what's what.

• Like 1

I replaced all of the steering parts prior to getting it aligned.

I didnt replace the front shocks when I did this. The T Bars didnt max out, but I imagine they came close to it.

After adjusting the T bars and replacing the worn steering parts, I took the truck to get aligned. I can get a copy of the print out from the shop to show the numbers, but I know that the negative camber that I have, has developed after the alignment was done, so something has moved/worn. I will take a look for the shims

+1 for shims, given that you're looking at it and seeing camber. I've heard the UCA bolts won't hold tension if you've got too thick a stack of shims. Bolts work loose, shims fall out, and you're a backwards hat and some stickers short of hellaflush.