About ECU codes

As a screw driver mechanic, I do not know how to read ECU codes. I found this tutorial on NicoClub, but I haven´t try it yet...

http://forums.nicoclub.com/how-to-read-dtc-s-diagnostic-trouble-codes-t488116.html

Does it work for a R50 (2000-SE 3.3L)?

The Pathy is working good, but who knows, maybe I will need to know if something goes bad, and go to the mechanic to help me with the truck... hahahahaha

Thanks!

• Like 1

As a non-mechanic here as well, I purchased an OBD2 reader from amazon last year. Spent less than $20, leave it plugged in all the time and have an app on my phone that reads current information and DTC codes whenever I want. I don't really understand the "screwdriver/socket-wrench/standalone" mechanic categories completely, but I do also go to my mechanic for help when I cannot see the problem directly. I'll do electrical work (lights/wiring) but nothing that would stop my DD Pathfinder from taking me to work. I'll do suspension work, but nothing I can't put back together in an hour if I need to go somewhere. I don't have a garage, just a gravel driveway to work in. So, I am also a fair-weather mechanic. I bought the OBD2 (bluetooth) reader for piece of mind.

Where do you live? In the states you can go to any auto parts store and they will scan it free of charge. Not sure about other countries.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I live in Bogotá, Colombia, I do not know if in some auto parts stores they do that... I am sure my mechanic does do the scan... But from my house to the mechanic shop it takes me 2 hours in heavy city trafic... So i go there when it is really necesary to go....

... I don't really understand the "screwdriver/socket-wrench/standalone" mechanic categories completely, but I do also go to my mechanic for help when I cannot see the problem directly. I'll do electrical work (lights/wiring) but nothing that would stop my DD Pathfinder from taking me to work. I'll do suspension work, but nothing I can't put back together in an hour if I need to go somewhere. I don't have a garage, just a gravel driveway to work in. So, I am also a fair-weather mechanic. I bought the OBD2 (bluetooth) reader for piece of mind.

I have done some "easy" repairing... Change the power anthena, install an on off switch for the power anthena... Wash the pathy... Hahahahaha 👍, install the cabin filter....

... I purchased an OBD2 reader from amazon last year. Spent less than $20, leave it plugged in all the time and have an app on my phone that reads current information and DTC codes whenever I want..

I saw this one on ebay....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELM327-WiFi-OBD2-OBDII-Car-Diagnostic-Scanner-Code-Reader-Tool-for-iOS-Android-E-/252163954407?hash=item3ab62496e7:g:k~AAAOSwwbdWQVX0

Does they domthe job? I think they are really cheap... Has someone try them?

Thanks

While pulling codes the old fashioned way is helpful, the low costs of OBDII scanners make it ridiculous to not own one, even for the novice mechanic. It's something that used to cost several hundreds, if not thousands of dollars, and now costs a few bucks. Just knowing the trouble code, even if you can't fix it yourself, is already a foot in the right direction. It can even be used for real-time details (temps, speeds, pressures, etc.)

My scanner has actually bailed me out a few times. In fact, just the other day as I was turning onto a street, my truck threw a code and immediately put my truck into limp mode...I couldn't accelerate, and was a very bad situation to be in (glad there was no traffic, I probably would've been rear-ended). I keep my adapter in the truck, so I pulled over, hooked it up, read the code, and reset it on the spot. Everything back to normal long enough to get home and check it out.

The choice of adapter or scanner is subjective and based on how you want to connect (i.e., your device, phone, etc). Wifi, Bluetooth, stand-alone are the norm. I use a small wifi module so that I can read codes from my iPhone and garage computer.

• Like 1

I want to read the codes from my iPad and iPhone, so i will go for the wifi module, I read that bluetooth module do not work with iOS system...

Is there any difference between the iCar2 OBD2 modues and the iCar3? Or it is just chinesse marketing? The price is almost the same depending ontp the Amazon or Aliexpress seller....