1997 LE Pathy cranks but no spark.

mdwarren289

I had to replace a bad battery after jump starting running it and moving it to my garage. Replaced battery now the engine cranks but does not start. I checked all of the ignition trouble shooting and all seems to be good, just no spark. It has a factory installed security system. Is there any way check if the security system is interrupting the ignition system? Or am I missing something obvious. Vehicle ran fine and started on first crank every time before the battery went south.

I have a 97 LE also. That model year does not have an engine immobilizer security system that relies on transponder chips in the key. I'm able to start the engine with a blank metal key. I have also recently removed the battery for some electrical wiring work and had no problems with the security system afterwards, which is just a theft-alarm.
Check out page 216 of this document: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9252407/1997_R50_FSM/EL.pdf

It is possible that the ignition coil in the distributor failed coincidentally at the same time as the battery.

Rockauto.com has new distributors for a little over $100.

Old-timer, Thanks for the info. You verified what I thought was going to be the issue. Thanks for the great document also. I could have ruled out the security system a lot sooner if I had this. I guess I can stop looking for the security reset now also. Looks like I need a new distributor in addition to the battery. At least the entire coil system is in the distributor. Just a mad coincidence

Thanks again.