Hello NPORA!

92SEPathFindr

Hello NPORA!! My name is Aaron and from a local original family/owner on Craigslist I just picked up my first Pathfinder, a 1992 SE 5-Speed Manual. Really excited about it and looking forward to doing preventive maintenance tasks to ensure, as best as I can, reliability. After looking over the truck carefully and a test drive, the PO showed me a folder with receipts of work paid for by them and that really helped with my decision. In 2011 they replaced the engine at a shop (with warranty) with a low mileage Japanese engine and have put in many replacement parts at the time, hoses, water pump, clutch, flywheel, front & rear shocks, and more things also. The chassis has 158K miles. I have a question about flushing the cooling system properly. Cheers and thanks! Here's a link to photos: http://s304.photobucket.com/user/ut234/library/1992%20Pathfinder%20SE

Looks like you found a clean one! What's your question on the flush?

Hi and thanks! After looking into quite a bit I was planning to follow the Prestone directions (sort of): Remove & clean overflow reservoir and leave it unhooked until finished flushing. Drain radiator, put the Tee in the heater hose inlet hose, close radiator drain, add the cooling system cleaner & water and run engine for 10 minutes (or more), then hook garden hose to Tee and put splash deflector tube in radiator opening and run engine while flushing the system with the hose-water until the water runs clear. Then I thought I would do the process a second or even a third time. Then after reconnecting the overflow reservoir, add 60/40 mix coolant/distilled h2o until full and I was planning on opening that bleed bolt on the top intake Plenum to let the air completely out of the system. My questions:

1) Which hose of the two hoses is the "heater inlet hose"? Top hose or bottom? My photos show the hoses.

2) Do the engine block drains need to be opened? There are two correct?

3) Does the thermostat have to be removed?

4) Anything you would do differently or recommend also doing? Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks k9sar, at car washes, I have carefully de-greased and power washed the engine compartment twice now and sprayed an Armor-all type detail spray on. The PO had a bad window tint job done on it and I haven't done anything about that yet. Other than a few smaller problems with interior pieces, here and there, I am very impressed with how well this truck seems to have been constructed. Limited plastic & rubber and no Styrofoam .....so unlike the cars built these days. Best wishes! B)

Welcome...

Wow,,, it always amazes me to see how a 92 can look this clean... In my part of the world a 92 is sold in pieces...

Thanks friend! Southern California weather and not too close to the ocean works wonders and it seems built well, for starters, also. Was owned by the same family prior to me buying it. The paint is a bit faded but I'll be desert off-road driving in it and bushes and cactus, etc will be "leaving their mark" anyways. I may even do my own camo-style repaint? Cheers!

• 4 weeks later...