Final engine upgrades

djeffrey

Hello

Looking to do my final engine upgrades to seal this thing up. Been knocking out a lot of projects this year. Just got it back from paint with a dark metallic Red. Looks really nice, too clean though.

Would love some opinions on a few things from anyone who has tried it.

What I have:

VG33 long block swap using VG30 ECU and Accessories.

VG30 "euro cams"

Pace setter headers leading to a 2.5 inch exhaust with a magnaflow muffler.

Stock intake

Stock ECU

I am wondering if anyone has increased the size of the MAF sensor and the injectors. I have done some reading in the forum with no final answers. I am thinking I should increase the size of those a long with a bigger intake to match the engine upgrades.

After I have figured this out I wanted to have the ECU flashed by Jim wolf technology, hoping that can dial everything in too all the upgrades from factory stock.

Any input, any other upgrades I am missing to do before an ECU flash?

Thanks everyone

DJ

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Stock injectors will reliably take you to 200 HP. I'm in that ballpark right now.

R50 3.3 injectors are my recommended replacement for anybody's 20+ year old 3.0 injectors. Flow characteristics are close enough to run without additional tuning, they have better resistance to the ethanol content in todays fuel and the connectors are less prone to corrosion. (requires new injector pigtails to be spliced in).

The stock MAF found on the trucks and pickups is defiantly a choke point, I would guess it would be about maxed out on a stock 180 HP 3.3. Unfortunately, I have no data regarding its resolution or resistance tables. I am running an Infiniti M30 MAF but I am also running Nistune so MAF corrections can easily be made as needed.
Without the ability to make MAF corrections it really becomes a guessing game, try a different MAF and monitor/compare under load with a WBO2 to the stock unit. Keep in mind any driving condition in the 14.7:1 AFR or below the operating temperature of 180F will not be fully affected by the MAF so you have to get out of those ranges for accurate comparison of MAF sensors. I would start with a SOHC 3.0 Car MAF (M30, older Maxima...) as the 4cy's, DOHC's and newer vehicles all have MUCH higher resolutions and will throw your ratio's off quite a bit.

Time-trial operation has given me 12.5:1 as the fastest acceleration (most power & torque) at wide open throttle from 2k-4k rpm. (tested in 3 pulling groups 2k-3k, 2.5k-3.5k & 3k-4k all providing the same result 12.5:1) Stock tune was targeting 10.5ish under wide open throttle which was whole seconds slower in each group I tested. But you cannot just lean it out with a higher resolution MAF because then mid-range fueling is too lean for optimal throttle response. Just something to keep in mind, unless you have ECU tuning capabilities your new, less restrictive MAF has to provide you close to the same ratios at each RPM range as your stock one.

In summary, if your not going to get into ECU tuning I would stick with the stock MAF and maybe some R50 injectors. The extra 20 HP POTENTIAL out of your existing build will not be missed because its only at peak RPM and you will not be driving like that all the time. The torque will always be there when you need it even without a MAF "upgrade".