SFD suspsension

Zero

I've been prowling around for a bit trying to find info on what people are using for suspension replacement/upgrade SFD and SFD + AC.

Some have said Rancho 5000 for the rear, some say don't do Rancho. I don't know if anyone is using OE struts with AC coils.

For all of you who are running SFD and/or AC coils, what are you using for shocks and struts?

You can't use the stock struts, you will need more than just AC coils. You will either need spacers plus coils or get WJ coils for the rear. Otherwise you will end up looking like Rick31? used to look like when he first got his done, reverse rake.

I run Bilstein shocks and they are great! I recently upgraded to even taller Bilsteins as my other set topped out too, and that one was taller than stock already.

8cdafcf2946c0b272f42e5acb20efacb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Crapatalk

Right, I didn't think you could run stock shocks because you will top them out. I don't know what kind of shocks people are using with the AC springs though.

I'm considering a SFD+AC setup since I've got a QX4 and lose out on about an inch of clearance with the fender flares, but since they're built into the door paneling I want to keep them. I have 32" tires (32.1") and a 2" spacer lift right now which just isn't enough. I don't plan on upping the tire size any time soon because these tires are brand new.

I understand with the SFD+AC I will need the SFD kit, 5.5" WJ springs, Rancho 5000 struts, AC Springs, and new shocks (not sure what kind to use).

The struts for the front will be same size as OEM. Most people use KYB. Rancho shocks for the rear arent the greatest from what my research revealed. Hence my recommendation for Bilstein shocks. Quality product! Coupled with WJ coils, you're good!

f8ade7194892a144f768a33a38c8a643.jpg

b3f55ebe24df4466e2766703fa791e98.jpg

The struts for the front will be same size as OEM. Most people use KYB. Rancho shocks for the rear arent the greatest from what my research revealed. Hence my recommendation for Bilstein shocks. Quality product! Coupled with WJ coils, you're good!

f8ade7194892a144f768a33a38c8a643.jpg

b3f55ebe24df4466e2766703fa791e98.jpg

You've got a 6" lift, correct?

CND I think it's funny that you have a 47 page build site and you are still asked what you have done! Way to help out. Any info might help some one out.

• Like 1

4/6 might be the way to go. Did you use 5.5" WJ springs in the rear?

I think they were 6 if I recall but could have been 5.5. Either way doesn't really matter as you have to chop off the pigtails anyway to make them fit. I actually only chopped off th top ones and used the extra 1" from the lower mount for the spring to sit on top on, then welded a screw with a retaining bracket in to prevent it from coming off.

har har I get it, I'm the newbie here asking questions that have been answered 100+ times. I apologize for being 'that guy' but I couldn't find the info I was looking for

Don't sweat it, it happens. We're just pulling legs here. We also know that the search function here is pretty crappy, especially since it ignores words less than 4 letters (like SFD OME AC). But we do get the question a lot, and nothing has changed regarding the setup for years.

I just use Google and include "NPORA" in the search. The first result usually has multiple results, with a "More results from www.nissanpathfinders.net" that is far more exhaustive and useful.

You have a very finite number of options for lift, SFD, and struts/shocks. It's pretty irrelevant which combo you go with. If you want 6"+ of lift, you need lift springs, an SFD, and some way to raise the rear as much (Jeep springs or lift springs + spacers). It's entirely mix-and-match.

To summarize your options...

SFD: KRFabs or homebrew

Struts: OE, KYB, Monroe, OME, Gabriel

Lift springs: AC, OME, Jeep (custom for rear if going >4")

Spacers: Fleurys, LiftMaker, NX4, AC (they're NX4 spacers)

Shocks: OE, OME, Bilstein, Ranchos, Gabriels, few others (including some for early 2K's F-250)

Right, I've done some fair research and know what's available. I'm not upset, I've participated in and run forums in the past.

I'm actually using Fleurys' spacers right now but tucking 32" tires under the rig (QX4 flares are a bit different than the pathy) doesn't leave me beans for clearance or flex. I was either considering something similar to CDN_S4s 4/6 lift, or doing a 6" all around lift.

My question was more in reference to the actual part numbers you guys used for your suspension after doing a lift.

For example, some of the build guides recommend Rancho 5000 shocks for the rear, while others say that ~6 months later they are junk. I've seen a lot of bad press about OME too, not to mention they are pricey.

So, in that light, what rear struts are y'all using? What has worked well for you?

For putting the 2" lift springs http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tjm-770fr10a?seid=srese1&gclid=CjwKEAiA-s6zBRDWudDL2Iic4QQSJAA4Od3XgZqoZK1Ogbdp9tZd5K1yKDllQpKPS-dvWGyPjIN9QxoCrnDw_wcB onto the front, you probably wouldn't use the OE front shocks. What part# have you been running with, how long, and how's the performance been?

That kind of thing is more what I was looking for I guess.

Appreciate the tip on the search feature btw

I've not heard any bad things about OME. I run them and they've been great.

Those lift springs are for an Armada. They won't fit yours.

Like I said, your part options are very limited. If you go to any of those parts manufacturers websites, you'll get 1-2 p/n tops. The rear springs will vary because many aren't R50-specific, but the actual p/n will vary by the amount of lift you end up with. The manufacturers websites usually spec all those out, and you'll probably need to determine what size you need. I run shocks for an F-250, about 5" longer than stock.

Search for a few Bilstein posts, for sure a few p/ns have been provided by members.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. With regard to rear shocks, do you know if anyone has relocated them to higher up on the axle? They hang down super far. I can't imagine it would be that difficult (if you can weld) to put shock mounts from a jeep on there, or just weld the existing ones higher up?

No reason you couldn't. There are several weld on kits available.

This is the direction I would go personally:

ORS-SP050-300x300.jpg

http://www.offroadsolutions.com/products/rear-axle-lower-shock-mounts/

These (and many like it) exist too:

M62507290.jpg

http://jksmfg.com/i-9052781-fab-rear-axle-shock-mount.html

• Like 1

Search for a few Bilstein posts, for sure a few p/ns have been provided by members.

See my pic above of the Bilstein shock packaging. That gives you the info for the 5" longer shocks.

And yes, relocating the mounting of the shocks on the axles would work too. Just makes me wonder why most car manufacturers that use this type of setup always seem to mount them low like this?

And yes, relocating the mounting of the shocks on the axles would work too. Just makes me wonder why most car manufacturers that use this type of setup always seem to mount them low like this?

Well, there's a catch: it may only be beneficial for lifted vehicles.

For most trucks/SUV, moving the lower mount up would mean a 4-6" shorter shock and possibly reduced efficiency in the shock. You'd have to consider moving the upper shock mounts, too.

For us...the 96-99.5ish (pre-facelifts?) have rear shocks installed at an angle, with the upper mounts behind the axle. Moving the lower mount up decreases the angle of the shock—not good. The 99.5-04, the rear shocks are almost vertical, but you can't move the upper mount higher, otherwise you start entering into the wheel well area where the tire could make contact during articulation.

In both cases, you'd also want to consider moving the upper mounts inward, like this custom Tacoma setup:

rear%20shocks%20done.jpg

Note the additional crossmember allowing for adjustable upper shock mounting positions. This might be doable, but you'd also need to clear the springs, likely using an extended mount similar to the panhard bar's lower mount.