Front end alignment

maddmark1981

Ok so the alignment shop wants $76+tax and I don't want to give away that kind of money.

I used a string and jack stands to adjust them and they're close but not perfect. Every time I make a slight adjustment it throws off the steering, I then go back inside, straightforward the steering wheel and back under I go to adjust but it just seems I can't get it honed in without it pulling to one side or the other... Any suggestions?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

You can't do it with jackstands. The front tires need to be on the ground at the proper ride height. Something to put under the front tires so they can turn easily as you adjust the tie rods is a must. And yes there is caster and camber adjustments made with shims behind the UCAs. Caster is critical and camber will just wear a tire but you mess with one you mess with the other.

• Like 1

You can take two pieces of metal with grease between them to have the tires on. Or wait till its icy. That works too lol. Sometimes it is worth paying for an alignment

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I've been through all that too. Spend the money. If you have a lift your camber will need set. There is no caster adjustment on an R50. Tie rods will adjust toe in/out and also determine steering wheel position. I got mine really close on the slick concrete of the garage floor using strings run along side the tires on each side, that is the toe in out and steering wheel position but the camber was already set from a previous shop. I made adjustments with the truck on the ground then drove it, then repeated until it felt correct but I still ended up taking it in a month later because a slight pull to the right I just couldn't solve.

Pathfinder_184.jpg

best.jpg

The ultimate deciding factor is, "What ARE YOUR TIRES worth?"

Fixed it for you.

My tires are $800 a set not mounted or balanced.

Soooo.... Yeah I paid the $60 for an alignment. I always do. It's like changing your oil, it's just preventative maintenance.

I'm cheap so I did the Warns, end links, struts, lift, springs myself... But I don't enjoy rotating my tires every 3k miles to save under a hundred bucks.

My time on the weekend is worthless so I will piss around with my lifted pathy because "close enough" is good enough. On my DD I take it somewhere because unlike my wheeler pathy, it doesn't get much abuse or part changes.