Need frame rust advice.

Jacqueline

I just recently purchased a 1994 Nissan Pathfinder SE with 113k miles for $700. Engine and transmission seem to be in pretty decent shape, and overall the truck drives great. But, of course, it's got some pretty good rust going on in the frame. Mostly on the right side, and in the back. The left side is starting to show signs of doing the same thing. I did notice this before I even bought it, but at that price and the condition of the rest of the car, I was fine with knowing I'd probably be dumping a couple more grand into this vehicle. I've read a lot about this, and how common of an issue it is, and did find some kits, but I'd like to get some advice on how I should go about fixing it. I have called multiple body shops around me, but none are willing to touch it unless I'm completely replacing the frame. Which I would be willing to do, at some point, but right now my funds are not exactly that great.

I don't have any pictures of the current state of the frame, but within a week or so I should be able to get them if needed. Basically, the entirety of the right frame part of the frame, in the bottom section, is soft and crumbling, and there are large holes in it. It appears the people who owned it before me attempted to "reinforce" it by using...plaster? And other junk. Not quite sure what they were thinking, but. The top part of the frame still looks/feels pretty solid. It is at a mechanic right now getting all of the fluids gone through and everything else checked out. He wasn't too positive about the damage, but I would like to talk to some people more experienced with this vehicle.

So, any advice is appreciated. I live in Maryland, so if anyone knows of anyone around me that does work on these trucks or has experience working on them, feel free to make some suggestions.

Thanks!