Taking off gauge needles

Terranovation

Just a quick one, so how do I remove the tach needle is it just pry off with a fork? I don't want to damage the tacho so will I need to do anything else? The reason I want to take the needle off is because heat is finally starting to bend it to the point it's started to catch on the gauge face, just after the 2,000 rpm mark. I thought I was getting great revs at 60 mph and 2,000 rpm lol.

The last one that I took off from an old VDO was just pushed on so I assume that a pry off might work. I have heard that some of the older german cars used an epoxy to hold the indicator in place, but I've never taken apart a japanese gauge.

Can't you just bend the needle away from the face? Your RPM'S sound OK with your MPH's. If it's a pinch fit then a modified fork sounds perfect!

Edited by kdj

I'll try just bending the needle away from the face but I don't want to accidentally snap it. I managed to get the speedo needle off before. I repaired it by heating it up in a mug of hot water then bending it straight while the needle was nice and flexible, then put it in a splint using a toothpick to hold it straight. Left it to set for a few hours and it straightened it out. I want to do the same with the tacho needle. Just need a day off work!