Rear lift gate struts

Matthew K

Hello all,

I'm pretty sure this topic has been discussed before, although I can't find it by searching. The the gas struts for my rear lift gate are shot since the glass rattles pretty badly. It happens more when it's cold (gas is at a lower pressure) than when it's warm (40 degrees or more). I'm looking for a good replacement without paying the dealer prices...any recommendations? Thanks!

Matt

i doubt that it would make the glass rattle when closed... something is up with the latch or hinges maybe??? auto zone and such have them... can't remember but around $20 ea. and they are stronger then stock.. the latch pops up by itself when i release it... almost the same thing with the whole gate.. they are great!

Yeah, I don't see how fading lift supports are gonna make the glass rattle... anyways, you can probably get them at a parts store like NAPA or Checker, etc. Didn't see any for your model year on eBay.

Thank you for your responses (and for checking on ebay)! I re-examined the rear glass and the struts. The struts actually work very well (glass pops right up). The rattling seems to be coming from a tolerance between the glass and the rubber seal. The latch mechanisms (and all the other parts behind the paneling of the hatch) are tight, so I guess I'll just have to put something between the glass and the seal to hold the glass tight. Thanks again.

Matt

Are all Pathfinder lift gates easy to shut? I really get pissed when people shut the rear door by slamming it shut. It sounds like they're trying to brake the door. I guess you're kind of used to it from their own cars. I know that my in-law's Explorer's and my brother's Caravan's lift gate is pretty hard to shut causeing you to use a minimal amount of force to shut it tight. My door is so easy that all you need to do is drop it from about 6 inches near closing its shut. Its either its made differently than the rest its just not holding anymore.