SE Roof Rack

cham

I'm looking for the 2002+ se roof rack thats so sought after. I currently have the 2002 LE roof-rack and would like to swap or just simply buy the rack off someone completely. Anyone positive that a 2002-2004 se roof-rack will fit my 2002 LE roof? Preferably the one that says pathfinder down the side. :D Represent! But any response I value!

I'm in Maine. I have the ones with "Pathfinder" on either side (though the decals are wearing out) and the air dam. My canoe won't fit on them and they block the sunroof, so I'd be glad to get the more minimal LE version. But how much of an obstacle would it be to ship here to there, and how big of a problem would it be to remove/install them. I don't imagine they fit the same screw holes?

Bill C

I'm in Maine. I have the ones with "Pathfinder" on either side (though the decals are wearing out) and the air dam. My canoe won't fit on them and they block the sunroof, so I'd be glad to get the more minimal LE version. But how much of an obstacle would it be to ship here to there, and how big of a problem would it be to remove/install them. I don't imagine they fit the same screw holes?

Bill C

I shipped one last week. Used two 48" x 12" x 12" boxes from the UPS Store, took off the front mounting pieces to get the overall height to 72" (anything above caused the price to jump considerably) with padding at both ends. I used NEX Shipping (shipnex.com) to ship it and fender flares (separate box)...total shipment was $100 (AZ to WA)...$60 cheaper than UPS. It was actually picked up and shipped by UPS.

I used a cheap moving blanket from Harbor Freight to roll all the long pieces up (wrap one piece, roll a little, wrap the next piece, roll a little, next piece, roll, next piece, until each pieces had a layer between them), then tightly taped the roll. The thicker crossbars and air dam tucked in other parts of the box. Kyle (ferrariowner123) will have to vouch if this setup worked ok (hope so!).

Removing the rails is easy; just 12 Torx head bolts. They mount to anchors installed on the roof, and they are the same anchors despite different rack styles. Don't remove those anchors...the nuts that secure them will fall onto the headliner, and it's the foam insulation on those anchors that keeps water out.

Oh, and Kyle said he read it was a direct swap...when I was at the junkyard pulling the parts, it definitely looked to be a direct swap. Just remember to keep the anchors in place on the roof after removing the rails...there are six of them.

Edited by hawairish

Thanks again for that hawairish, I'll pm you later my phone struggles to type clearly on this site for some reason.

But as he said I doing the swap with the late model that hawairish sent me. After cleaning them up and taking my racks off to clean under them (really need to do this more often. I found my clear coat peeling up there,made me cry) and put the he sent me on (same racks through all the years I just used the ones he sent So I can restore my original set) and looks like it will line up, all the bolt holes line up. But you will need everything but the runners thar are already installed if you have a roof rack.

-Kyle

I think even the lower rails are a slightly different length, but otherwise looked identical. I assumed they fit because I put the newer lower rail against the older lower rail, and the bolt holes were in the same location.

To be clear about "upper" vs "lower" rail...the newer style has the upper rail with the Pathfinder logo where the oval crossbars attach and span the roof. Below them is the lower rail that sits flush on the roof, where nothing seems to attach on the newer style. The older style racks only have the lower rail, and the cross bars attach to that lower rail.

That said, you need to remove all the rails to expose six anchors (they're about 1" by 5" IIRC with a few holes in them). That's the only thing that I believe would stay on the roof. Even the plastic trim that is recessed into the roof between the windshield and front of the lower rail needs to be swapped (it just slides forward then lifts up). I'd suggest that you two each get some pics and compare them, perhaps even measure the lower rails (without any covers or trim on them) to see if they're the same length.

• Like 1