Alternator removal and replacement?

Rebelord

Sup guys. On top of doing my wheel bearings. My alternator under tension of the belt is squealing. Turns fine by hand. Put the belt on and tension it up, start thr truck for 30 secs. Loud squelch. Turn truck off and the alternator pulley is very hot to touch. Vs touching the actual engine block.

I'm trying to get it out. I have the front bracket and bolts removed. Got the plug out and charging cable. But there's another bracket with a wiring harness and a ground? Back there. Don't seem to have enough room to drop it south much more to get to those.

Any tricks to this? Kinda stuck and have work this week.

Btw, it's the original alternator or a OEM at least. Charges good so just going to replace the bearings in it. No need for a new one.

Thanks!

Sent from fat fingers on S6

Welp. Rain stopped. Got back to it. Finally out.

Front bearing the separator for the bearings failed. And the rear was failing. Grease was black. Getting replacement tommorow then get it back in.

Best method is take photos of everything before you start so then you know how it should look when you start putting everything back in. That's how I did my alternator and I never even replaced one before. It was amazingly easy, it's all bolt on. It pays to take off stuff around the alternator so you have more room to work with though.

Remember this is on a 3.5. Less room than my 3.3.

Was not going to remove the power steering pump. Nope. Just take off the sway bar mounts and let it drop. Plenty of room to take it out.

No need for a quest alternator. This is already a 110A one.

My alternator crapped out a few weeks ago. It was the first time I've changed one and it was difficult. Access on the 3.5 is hard. I didn't reconnect the bracket for the wiring harness, I couldn't get to it. I did the same thing as you by just lowering the sway bar. The most difficult part was getting to the nut for the long through-bolt. In the end I'm still glad I did it myself. Not getting gouged on shop labor and being self sufficient is a great feeling.