Quick answer on trailing arms

NovaPath

does anyone know what the bracket that sticks off of the lower trailing arms is for? This is the one that hangs down, has a rubber block with something that looks like a nail welded to it. I'd like to cut it off of the new ones I get so I can better reinforce them...

Thanks!

Maybe it's a...nail welded to a rubber block?? Just checked mine and I don't have anything matching that description. Even checked out the pics on a few RockAuto options, I don't see anything resembling that either, except fin-like brace that would (hardly) protect the axle.

Got a pic?

man..I'm going to have to take a picture of this thing just so you guys don't think I'm crazy aren't I? lol. I swear there is a nail welded to this stupid fin bracket on mine, as well as a mystery rubber pad. I can't find it in any of the pictures online, but it is definitely there on mine.\

Safe to say that fin bracket does next to nothing?

Hahaha, yep, never seen that!

I found the p/n for it (55490-4W020). It was only installed on R50s made between 01/00 and 09/00 apparently...a 9-month window for an entire generation of R50s! As for what it is...it is just another damper...that MSRPs at $110 each!!! :blink: Courtesy Parts wants $83 for it. You could eBay it and profit...if it weren't for the fact it is a useless part (clearly because no other R50 has needed it).

Chop it off, and never look back. :D

Went ahead and purchased the poly bushings for the upper mounts, and I think I'm going to have new heavy duty lower rods fabricated locally. Oddly enough I think my upper bushings are shot and the lowers are okay, just have bent arms...Regardless I don't see myself slowing down with wheeling it so might as well make the investment now...

That makes sense! You saw Fleurys' latest control arms, right? I like that setup a lot. Simple, effective. I saw his old aluminum ones for the first time just the other day...nice, but too nice?

I saw those on the other thread, but unfortunately he isn't selling them yet. Yeah I'm not looking for anything fancy, doesn't even have to be shiny, just needs to be strong enough to treat like a rock slider :)