CB Radio Problem?

Bubbley11

So I got my CB radio installed and tuned. I have ch1 at 1.6, ch40 at 1.5 and ch20 at 1.1 for SWR levels. Leads me to believe I have it tuned pretty well for thrown together parts. I can kind of hear people at my house on ch8 but can't talk to them. I work next to the freeway and during lunch went to play. On ch17 I get lots of back ground noise when I turn the rf gain up past half of the turn. It fills the meter up to #3 out of 4. I have full output power as far as the meter tells me. I have yet to get a response on any channel.

Using a Uniden 520xl, a 3ft tunable antenna, a firestik mount on the tire rack rear passenger side, and a 18ft coaxial cable. I think the cable is a cheaper one so that might be a problem, but I would like so CB expert show his knowledge.

Edited by RedPath88
Edited and moved per OP's request

The bracket it grounded to the tire rack I have tested the ground and it's good, I might run another ground strap from it to the frame tho for extra ground. The cable runs down the side of the body behind the rear speakers and just under the dash, then it tucks under the air outlet under the radio area. I also have a problem with the wipers and window cleaner making my cb act like I'm receiving.

One thing about CB's, they don't have a lot of range! You just need to be able to talk to the vehicles in your convoy if you are in a larger group on the trails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I under stand that, it is like a 2-3 mile antenna tho. My buddy can send his out from his house to the free way, but I'm not hearing anything past 300m or so. I can transmit to his house 1.7 miles away but I can't hear him

• 2 weeks later...

Yep as long as you have no coils you should be able to eliminate that from the equation. Coils tend to create another "antenna."

Do you know what brand of coax you installed? There is definetly good and better and BEST out there...and it almost always has to do with shielding when it comes to low band stuff like CB's.

CDN_S4....

I disagree bra! 27Mhz is crazy! A properly tuned system can talk for hundreds of miles...I have done it! And that is standard "Chicken Band" and NOT SSB....