So.. next is electrical

Ok so I have a sound system in my pathy. It's a jl audio 300/4 and 500/1 running a jl10w7ho. I'm soon upgrading to the 12w7ho with hd750/1 amp. I also have 35 watt h.i.ds but I will be upgrading the fogs to 55watt h.i.ds. and soon there will be a 40" 300 watt light bar up top and a couple 6" on the rear.I don't use my stereo when I'm off road maybe my cb or light music. I believe the 3.5 has the 110-120 amp alternator. Well with everything on if my math is correct my amperage is 124. Obviously I won't have everything on at once. I'll probably run light bar only off road maybe occasionally headlights. And headlights and stereo on road. So I plan to do a dual battery and at the same time do the big 3 upgrade and hopefully change the alternator to have more output. 200 amps would be nice. I have heard that respinning the alternator is bad for it and the parts may not exist. So is there any high output alternators out there or any shops will to build a custom one?

I actually just found this!!!!!!

http://www.mechman.com/alternators/infinity/fx35/3-5l/2003-2008/g-series-270-amp-6-phase-nissan-infinity-3-5l-alternator/

It says need to run a slightly shorter belt because it has a 1.75" diameter pulley. What do you guys think? I Googled a pic of the factory alternator and it looks like the boltsong may line up

I'll bet that will work. Probably installs much like the Quest alternator would.

So how to find the right belt?

Maybe you could put your stock pulley on it and get slightly less amps (which is still enough for your needs).

Stock alternator is 110A.

Several sites (including Rock Auto), say OE alternator fits any VQ35 engine: 350Z, G35, FX35, M35. The original alternator p/n 23100-AM610 was superseded to 23100-AM61A...but if you eBay search the old number, it returns results for multiple vehicles. That said, there are 220A-350A+ for the 350Z...and thus, the R50. :lmao: (And as an extra cross-ref, as I'm prone to do, the R50 pulley p/n is 23150-AG010...which if you Google, returns results for the above vehicles.). I'd say you have direct fit options that don't require a belt change.

That is excellent information. I will look and see if the belts are the same part number for the altima and maxima. That would be way easier. In theory buy a 3.5 altima ho at and should hopefully drop in. Does anyone know if it is mounted in the same location?

Unfortunately the alternator from the z doesn't look like it fits. However if ebay has them for that cheap and I don't need a new belt then it's going in soon. I'll be upgrade to 0awg when I do it all. Do you think the eBay ones are reliable?

Oooooh....I see now that the 01-02 alternator is apparently different from the 03-04, and it's only the latter range that is shared with all those other VQ cars I listed. I had only looked at the 04 parts thinking that it would've been unchanged throughout the years. Apparently not the case.

So, the belt I mentioned (and others) say they fit 01-04. That means either the alternator bracket is different, or the pulley size is slightly different (and should be negligible because the alternator can be tensioned by the bracket). The pulley grooves must be identical. If the brackets are different, I wouldn't be surprised if they could be swapped. If you want to get some pics or measurements of yours and compare them against mine, let me know.

Hard to say about reliability. By the looks of it, the seller for the two alts I saw sells only alternators and starters, and most of the alternators all appear to be high output. All "new" and "upgraded". And seller has positive feedback. I'd like to think those are pretty good signs. Says there's a warranty, but no details.

Ok I would hate to order a $400 alternator and get stuck with it lol. Does anyone have experience with having a new alternator respun? I know it produces more heat but I'm not worried about that unless it presents a known issue