Super Soft Clutch Pedal, confirm my suspicions.

ferrariowner123

Hey guys,

So i just got done with the HUGE job of a clutch change, so far the actual change seems to be a success, but after bleeding my clutch several times, i seems to have an issue still.

The clutch pedal is SUPER soft, it pretty much just falls to the floor under no pressure.

It does work and i can shift gears without much issue, but it should not be this soft. I've done some research and for the most part, it seems that the consensus of what the problem is there is still air in the system. I've bled it twice, but only at the dampener and the slave, i haven't actually bled the master, which i'm assuming is, effectively bench bleeding it while in the car, i'm thinking ill just pop the line going to the dampener, bleed it, and then bleed going down the system.

I just want to have someone with a little more experience confirm my suspicions and plan of attack.

thanks

-Kyle

What kind of clutch did you put in? Sometimes the pushrod at the clutch pedal may need adjusted to apply the correct pressure. I had to do this with my Z after I put in a ACT clutch. It's pretty easy to do, just back off the lock nut and spin out the rod. You shouldn't of got air in the line if you didn't open the system.

I put in a Sachs clutch, new everything. Pressure plate, clutch, throw out, and pilot bushing. Looking back I guess I didn't have to open the system, but I did, and crimped the soft line, and no it's not leaking down there.

I'm gonna try bleeding it one more time and if that's doesn't work, I'm gonna put the new Sachs master I have in.

-Kyle

Hey guys,

So i just got done with the HUGE job of a clutch change, so far the actual change seems to be a success, but after bleeding my clutch several times, i seems to have an issue still.

The clutch pedal is SUPER soft, it pretty much just falls to the floor under no pressure.

It does work and i can shift gears without much issue, but it should not be this soft. I've done some research and for the most part, it seems that the consensus of what the problem is there is still air in the system. I've bled it twice, but only at the dampener and the slave, i haven't actually bled the master, which i'm assuming is, effectively bench bleeding it while in the car, i'm thinking ill just pop the line going to the dampener, bleed it, and then bleed going down the system.

I just want to have someone with a little more experience confirm my suspicions and plan of attack.

thanks

-Kyle

I concur with starting at the MC and working your way down. MC --> Dampner --> SC.

I had a similar issue when I converted my truck from auto to manual. Ended up my used MC was sucking in air somewhere. Replaced it and all went well from there.

• Like 1

^as the experienced have said...

One thing to look at is to make sure you don't have any bulges in your soft line (clutch, you sicko!!), especially after crimping a 20 year old line. Easy to do and rules out an 'obvious' issue; you just need one to press the pedal and one to look.

Have you pressed and held the clutch pedal and seen if it holds pressure? (slave cylinder doesn't back out) If it does, you have a leak or MC blow by. Be patient and methodical, slow and steady wins... ;)

B

If it does end up being the soft line - they are still available from the dealer. PM or Call Alkorail for that.

Also - a forum memember found a maker for stainless steel "soft" lines for our clutches - might be worth a look. http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/40310-braided-stainless-clutch-line/?do=findComment&comment=756017

They don't have one listed, but if anyone knows the thread pitch of the clutch line that would be great. I wanna say it's M10 X 1.00, but I'm not sure.

I also rebleed everything and it still feels like I'm stepping in dog crap, it doesn't loose pressure when I hold the pedal down, and pumping it doesn't make a difference. So I at a loss, I think I'll just bench bleed the new Sachs master I have rather than put the 150k mile old master back in, and order a new soft line.

-Kyle

Edited by ferrariowner123

I bought a clutch kit from nissan. At first I thought something was wrong. The pedal was really light. I felt like I was going to put foot through the floor when I depressed the pedal. After driving it for a while I have adjusted to the lack of pressure. My guess is most clutches, besides racing clutches, are going to be soft depending on who manufacturers it. Maybe it's nothing?

If you still feel it is too soft have you tried to reverse bleed it? From the bottom up. I have had to do that on a couple different vehicles before. Worth a shot.

Yeah I'm starting to get use to it, but I'm still gonna maintain that it's not quite right, as it's never in the five years of ownership, felt this way. And none of the other clutch cars I've driven (e30 bmw, c6 vette, 996 911 turbo, 944 turbo or my old 280Z for that matter) feel that way, there is a more positive feeling to be had a mechanical resistance if you will. This feels, as you described, like I'm gonna push through the floor. But I'm gonna mess with, I'm gonna do everything right and just replace it all, everything but the hardline. I have my new Sachs master and salve, and have SS softline on the way, so I'll report back what worked, probably later next week.

-Kyle

Haha, yeah, I guess you got a point there Haha.

I just miss my firm pedal, im getting use to it being soft. But I still don't like it. I went to change out the master and realized I had the wrong one entirely.

But is it possible that my new pressure plate is just easier to engage?

Also, what are some ways I can firm up the pedal? I've heard SS lines help with pedal feel on brakes, can the same be said of clutch? Would bypassing the dampener help with pedal feel, I.e. Make it firmer?

-Kyle

Edited by ferrariowner123

Do you think by passing it would help make it stiffer? And is this what they mean when companies list HD pressure plates, heavy Springs in the pressure plate making it harder to disengage but also harder to slip when towing?

-Kyle

It'll help feel. You bled it right?

The pressure plate is what keeps force against the clutch disk and flywheel. The stronger it is the harder the clutch seats and is more able to resist slipping.

I bled everything atleast 5 times now. And that going until there is no signs of air, following the service manuals bleeding procedure.

And gotcha, makes sense.

Thanks for the help. I'm gonna order another new master and try again, and if that doesn't work, I'm by passing the dampener.

-Kyle